Railroad Forums 

• Somerville question

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1420005  by MEC407

Can anyone tell me the name of this switch/junction in Somerville, and also the exact milepost if possible?

Click here for the overhead view: https://goo.gl/maps/KREbThXrAJJ2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1420025  by BostonUrbEx

That is Mystic Junction. Roughly MP 1.8 or 1.9 or so. Mystic Jct itself is 1.9 -- but I believe the signpost is at the ABS signals, meaning the switch might be 1.8.

The switch leads to what is referred to as the Yard 10 lead.
 #1420089  by MEC407

Thanks!
 #1420188  by kwf

That spot is the general area of the Prospect Hill Station, which was on the south side of the tracks.
 #1420205  by MEC407

Are all the tracks in that area owned by the T?
 #1420212  by F-line to Dudley via Park

MEC407 wrote:Are all the tracks in that area owned by the T?
Yes. PAR ceded what it had left in the Green Line Extension land swap. All they've got left for guarantees is a parking spot between commuter slots.
 #1420262  by BostonUrbEx

Yep, anything PAR owned from Somerville Jct, down through Yard 8, and up to 3rd Ave/FX is now state owned. PAR is still "maintaining" the track through Yard 8, by which I mean they're doing the bare minimum to keep a single through-track in service.

The only ROW that PAR actually still owns in the urban core, as far as I know, is the Yard 21 lead (3rd Iron and 4th Iron east of FX), Yard 2 lead (I guess that's what it would be called? It comes off the Davis Track and runs behind the buildings on A St in Charlestown), the Medford Branch, and the East Boston Branch.
 #1420307  by F-line to Dudley via Park

BostonUrbEx wrote:Yep, anything PAR owned from Somerville Jct, down through Yard 8, and up to 3rd Ave/FX is now state owned. PAR is still "maintaining" the track through Yard 8, by which I mean they're doing the bare minimum to keep a single through-track in service.

The only ROW that PAR actually still owns in the urban core, as far as I know, is the Yard 21 lead (3rd Iron and 4th Iron east of FX), Yard 2 lead (I guess that's what it would be called? It comes off the Davis Track and runs behind the buildings on A St in Charlestown), the Medford Branch, and the East Boston Branch.
Actually, Eastie Branch has been the T's ever since the 1976 B&M bankruptcy asset sale. Conrail held onto the ownership of their portion further inbound longer than B&M did and didn't sell until they abandoned. Only reason there's still anything reactivatable to Global Petroleum on the system map is because PAR's trackage rights there are free-as-in-beer.

Inside of Route 128 self-ownership is down to just Medford and *maybe* that derelict crud on the other side of the I-93 decks. State Rail Map hasn't been updated to show the GLX land swaps taking effect, so it's possible that stuff along the decks transacted in the fine print. And if it didn't, PAR is only holding onto the property from Community College to D St. in wait for MassDOT to dust off another pass at a Charlestown/Rutherford Haul Road study that perks up the sale value by a couple nickels.
 #1420338  by MEC407

Thanks again for the information, guys. I really appreciate it.