• Report from the Shop (Billerica)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by samayotte

There’s been a lot of talk about the former B&M shop in Billerica, MA.

The MBTA has 11 F40 units there now—
1012, 1001, 1007, 1005, 1015, 1008, 1011, 1002, 1006, 1017, and 1003

Here’s a link to my full report:

http://samayotte.com/PAR_Shop.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The establishing shots are down near the bottom of the page.
I recommend you start there.
  by KSmitty

Excellent report on a subject that seems to hold a lot of fascination here. Looks like the main shop building is about ready to fall in on itself. And the whole facility looks like a shell of its former self.

Thanks as always Steve!
  by BandA

Great pictures, thank you!

Wow, sad that those roofs were not maintained. If the steel frame is still good, they could be salvaged. I assume all of those buildings were once part of the railyard. Lots of potential. I bet that yard could be secured with lots of cameras and sensors. I assume it is contaminated.
  by BostonUrbEx

From these photos it looks like the GBT is now pinned to only one track. Seems there could easily be one more track along the southeast edge of the paved area.

Anyone know what the covered hoppers are for? Some sort of grain/flour transload?
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

BandA wrote:Great pictures, thank you!

Wow, sad that those roofs were not maintained. If the steel frame is still good, they could be salvaged. I assume all of those buildings were once part of the railyard. Lots of potential. I bet that yard could be secured with lots of cameras and sensors. I assume it is contaminated.
It's a Superfund site. They just finished capping the wastewater pools about a year ago, which was the most acutely contaminated part of the site. Some of the smaller buildings have been knocked down too. They haven't gotten around to the main buildings because it's such a big job. In addition to there being lots of nasty stuff in there they've got to dismantle all kinds of remnants of heavy machinery (humongous chains/pulleys, etc.) before demo can start. And there's no money for that.

I guess they're figuring leave it enough years and nature will take its course.
  by johnpbarlow

Excellent informative photos! Few questions:
- Pan Am HQ building is shown in photo ONE 0592? Is this where PAR dispatchers are located?
- What is the plethora of autos about as shown in photo TWO 2975? New cars? Used cars?
- What is the company the modern looking building shown in ONE 0567?

Thanks.
  by theseaandalifesaver

[quote="BandA"]Great pictures, thank you!

Wow, sad that those roofs were not maintained. If the steel frame is still good, they could be salvaged. I assume all of those buildings were once part of the railyard. Lots of potential. I bet that yard could be secured with lots of cameras and sensors. I assume it is contaminated.[/quote]

There's signs all over warming of contamination that go ignored.
  by BostonUrbEx

johnpbarlow wrote:- Pan Am HQ building is shown in photo ONE 0592? Is this where PAR dispatchers are located?
- What is the plethora of autos about as shown in photo TWO 2975? New cars? Used cars?
- What is the company the modern looking building shown in ONE 0567?
- Correct.
- Used cars.
- That's the old Boston Globe facility, and I don't know that anyone is in it now.
  by newpylong

Waste Management is in the old Globe building. Unknown of they ship out anything by rail.
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

Adding my voice to the choirs,
Great photos, and thank you for sharing!
  by Screamer 1000

It seems to me that the Billerica shops would be a great place for a small local Railroad Museum and visitor's center. I know parts of it are active and/or contaminated, but it's just a thought. It would be great to keep some of the retired screamers and restore/display them. Just a random thought...
  by theseaandalifesaver

[quote="Screamer 1000"]It seems to me that the Billerica shops would be a great place for a small local Railroad Museum and visitor's center. I know parts of it are active and/or contaminated, but it's just a thought. It would be great to keep some of the retired screamers and restore/display them. Just a random thought...[/quote]

There's nothing there besides the area itself that's museum worthy. The main building is pretty much 1/3 caved in and is probably only still standing because it would cost more money to demolish it. It's most likely beyond repair at this point. Just look at some of the arial pictures that were posted.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

I can't find it on Google, but there was somebody about a year ago who snapped a whole photo album's worth of pics around the shops, including inside.

Those buildings are most definitely not redeemable in any way, shape, or form. Dangerous, polluted, and liable to collapse at any moment. There's no preservation to be had in there. And the state really should fund the demolition sooner rather than later because they're a safety hazard for the activity that does go on onsite around the yard and surrounding businesses. I'm somewhat surprised this winter didn't finish those buildings off.
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:I can't find it on Google, but there was somebody about a year ago who snapped a whole photo album's worth of pics around the shops, including inside.

Those buildings are most definitely not redeemable in any way, shape, or form. Dangerous, polluted, and liable to collapse at any moment. There's no preservation to be had in there. And the state really should fund the demolition sooner rather than later because they're a safety hazard for the activity that does go on onsite around the yard and surrounding businesses. I'm somewhat surprised this winter didn't finish those buildings off.

Was it John's Site?
http://sery2831.smugmug.com/Transit/Bil ... main-shop/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He has a few interiors on page 2. Great site by the way. He needs to add more :)
  by ck4049

Excellent arial photos! Is there still an RDC or two buried in the woods up there?