Railroad Forums 

• CPF

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

CPF

#1313229  by Clay

Can someone explain what CPF stands for. I am always seeing it, but I don't know what it means.
 #1313231  by newpylong

Control Point Freight Mainline - interlockings on the freight main line.

CPN - Control Point Northern Mainline

CPR - Control Point Conn River Mainline

Etc
 #1313278  by johnpbarlow

The "CPF" control point terminology is also used on the D&H/CP between Mechanicville, NY and NS connection at CP-Kase (NS designation) at Sunbury, PA as a holdover from the days when GRS owned the D&H and had declared the 750 mile route from Mattawamkeag, ME to Sunbury as the Freight Main Line. I think the northernmost CPF control point is CPF-66 a couple of miles south of Northern Maine Jct on Pan Am while the southern most CPF is CPF-716 at Nescopeck, PA on the D&H/CP. Question: will NS continue to use CPF terminology once they assume ownership of D&H South?
 #1313305  by Engineer Spike

They added the third letter to designate which route it was on. F=Freight Main, N=Northern, W= Western Route, R= Conn River, C= Canadian Main, and O= Colonie Main. CP kept using the Guilford designations, instead of going back to the old two letter cabin names. They also kept the mileages on the Freight Main. That was likely because there were several series of numbers. The route from Mechanicville to Sunbury used pieces of several routes.
 #1313338  by newpylong

Also the two branches with CTC:

CPL - Brunswick Branch control points

CPM - Mountain Branch control points
 #1313351  by newpylong

johnpbarlow wrote:The "CPF" control point terminology is also used on the D&H/CP between Mechanicville, NY and NS connection at CP-Kase (NS designation) at Sunbury, PA as a holdover from the days when GRS owned the D&H and had declared the 750 mile route from Mattawamkeag, ME to Sunbury as the Freight Main Line. I think the northernmost CPF control point is CPF-66 a couple of miles south of Northern Maine Jct on Pan Am while the southern most CPF is CPF-716 at Nescopeck, PA on the D&H/CP. Question: will NS continue to use CPF terminology once they assume ownership of D&H South?
NS probably will keep, having contiguous numbers with the B&M might come in handy in the future lol.
 #1313419  by surfacer

newpylong wrote:
johnpbarlow wrote:The "CPF" control point terminology is also used on the D&H/CP between Mechanicville, NY and NS connection at CP-Kase (NS designation) at Sunbury, PA as a holdover from the days when GRS owned the D&H and had declared the 750 mile route from Mattawamkeag, ME to Sunbury as the Freight Main Line. I think the northernmost CPF control point is CPF-66 a couple of miles south of Northern Maine Jct on Pan Am while the southern most CPF is CPF-716 at Nescopeck, PA on the D&H/CP. Question: will NS continue to use CPF terminology once they assume ownership of D&H South?
NS probably will keep, having contiguous numbers with the B&M might come in handy in the future lol.
I like our system on Amtrak they give names to the interlockings.
 #1313486  by newpylong

Used to be that same on the B&M, MEC, and D&H until the strikes. They gave them numbers so the replacement crews could figure it out quick. Anyone who was tought by the old timers still uses the old interlocking names. I like them too.
 #1313515  by 130MM

Don't forget CPW -- Western Route ML -- all 1.65 miles of it!
And its only CP: CPW-WJ
 #1313531  by Watchman318

newpylong wrote:Also the two branches with CTC:
Is that 'L' for Lower Road?
 #1313545  by BostonUrbEx

Watchman318 wrote:
newpylong wrote:Also the two branches with CTC:
Is that 'L' for Lower Road?
Yes. MPL mileages go all the way up to Waterville. The East Augusta Industrial Track still has the old mileages.