Railroad Forums 

• Freight through Medford

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1301828  by doublebell

I was surprised to see a 21 car mixed freight heading North through Medford this morning at about 1100. Any idea what that was?
John, the guy in the white car withe the wing on back
 #1301829  by F-line to Dudley via Park

doublebell wrote:I was surprised to see a 21 car mixed freight heading North through Medford this morning at about 1100. Any idea what that was?
Isn't that usually the time of morning that the BS&G job heads back home after unloading the morning's delivery of sand at the plant? Were there a lot of empty hoppers in tow with the other miscellany?
 #1301831  by BostonUrbEx

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
doublebell wrote:I was surprised to see a 21 car mixed freight heading North through Medford this morning at about 1100. Any idea what that was?
Isn't that usually the time of morning that the BS&G job heads back home after unloading the morning's delivery of sand at the plant? Were there a lot of empty hoppers in tow with the other miscellany?
BODO usually leaves Boston before the morning rush, and it definitely did so early this morning as well. But 21 cars sounds a little big to be a LA local, even if there was a combined Somerville/Everett/Salem run returning via the Reading Branch.

EDIT: Which line through Medford? I think of the Reading/Haverhill Line by default, assuming they were qualifying a crew on that line, but the Lowell Line goes through Medford, too.
 #1301857  by doublebell

This was at the High Street crossing in West Medford. It was a mixed freight with several Plate F boxcars, a couple of Plate C's, a few tank cars, a few hoppers, etc.
John, the guy in the white car with the wing on back.
 #1301862  by highrail

If there was a PanAm blue unit on the lead I'll bet it was the unit that was in the Salem yard yesterday. They looked like they were lined up for the main, with a high side gon and about 6 hoppers. They may have also stopped at Univar as I think there were 2 or 3 tankers on that property.
 #1301866  by doublebell

I didn't catch the lead unit but the second was a dark gray GRS.
John, the guy in the white car with the wing on back.
 #1308082  by newpylong

After the successful Poland Spring short haul tests, the Budweiser to Medford distro deal is back on the table.
 #1308088  by F-line to Dudley via Park

newpylong wrote:After the successful Poland Spring short haul tests, the Budweiser to Medford distro deal is back on the table.
Has Bud backed off the clearance requirements for their boxcars? There was pretty much no resolving that dispute that sidelined the 2012 proposal...if big boxes don't clear through there, they don't clear through there and that's that.
 #1324780  by tom18287

saw a pan am truck at the middlesex st crossing in medford today. not sure what they were doing. something in the works?
 #1325043  by BostonUrbEx

tom18287 wrote:saw a pan am truck at the middlesex st crossing in medford today. not sure what they were doing. something in the works?
If I had to guess, they were doing signal testing for the crossing. They still have to do their testing even if nothing is running.

If not, then my second guess would be someone is going to cut up the tree blocking the branch between Middlesex St and Medford Jct.