Railroad Forums 

• Old Town Yard

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1299101  by guilford88panam

So I go to the University of Maine and was wondering what exactly comes into Old Town and Bangor. The mill just recently shut down so they lost all that traffic, Bucksports is going to here really soon as well I think I read in the news. I grew up in Portland/Gorham so I am not familiar with the operations up here around Bangor/Old Town.

Thanks
Tim
 #1299109  by KSmitty

Daily MABA/BAMA to Keag. Thats the only thing running east of Waterwoks. But get your shots damn soon! Seriously if youre at UM0 take this weekend and cover the line between Bangor and Keag. Before snow flies there will be nothing left running east of Waterworks. See the "Up North Gawking" thread for more info...
 #1299597  by CN9634

Hey Tim,

I just graduated from there are a 7 year Undergraduate/Graduate stint (GO BLUE) and I know Ksmitty spent some time up there as well. Feel free to PM with questions about anything from UMaine. You'll be hard pressed to find trains in Orono/Old Town these days and will have to head towards Glenburn/Hudson for CMQ (20 mins from Campus headed Northwest) or NMJ/Bangor.

I spent many a Saturday in Brownville Jct, Millinocket, Mattawamkeag, Oakfield, NMJ, or a combination thereof. It's a good place to be for railroading, one of my favorites.
 #1309597  by KSmitty

I was told that the stacks are smoking again and they are bringing in wood chips. No change in Old Town yard yet, no boxes, and still a track of centerbeams and some other 'Keag stuff. Even with no regular trains through OT they still use it as their depot for the east end. Vehicle pen and crew base...
 #1311225  by KSmitty

http://bangordailynews.com/2015/01/07/b ... pulp-mill/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Theres an up to date on the goings on.

When I was by last Saturday, the stacks were indeed smoking and the chip pile was clearly visible from the road, which is a great sign, and nice to see again.
Sunday or Monday 344 took the first boxes to the yard, staging for the resumption of production.

I'd imagine next week's job sheet will include OT-1. That'll give a daily through Bangor again which hasn't happened in about a month now since Buck closed up. They'll have to lift the stop and protect between MP45 and Waterworks in a week or so, too.
 #1311265  by newpylong

One job a day may not be enough to lift the rusty rail conditions. They had it on the Conn River for years and both ED-2 used the line daily and EDPL/PLED every other.

The news on the mill is awesome to say the least.
 #1346977  by emyers

sorry to bump an old thread, but just got up to UMO for the year and was wondering how frequently trains run to the old town mill?
Thanks
 #1346995  by KSmitty

emyers wrote:sorry to bump an old thread, but just got up to UMO for the year and was wondering how frequently trains run to the old town mill?
Thanks
Daily, give or take.
 #1346998  by emyers

Cool. tracks run on the same street as my girlfriends apartment in orono :-) Im sure ill see/hear one soon.