Railroad Forums 

• Current Freight Car Roster/ List?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1281465  by mokanpy

I'm working on a project and was wondering how many boxcars are currently in service and what paint schemes are in use. Is there a current roster available online?
 #1286004  by KSmitty

mokanpy wrote:Is there a current roster available online?
Nope.

You can get broad number series, knowing that not all cars in a series are going to be in service due to attrition and demand. Railpicturearchives would be a good place for that.

-Sappi uses a lot of TR high cubes in brown.
-Old Town uses a lot of RBOX's in really old yellow, like the original Railbox paint, before it was TTX...
-Bucksport seems to be using a lot of COER boxes in a light blue.
-Of course all the mills use some "home road" boxes. 99% of those are going to be in the dip gray with "weeping" white "G", the two tone Pan Am "smurf" with globe, or the new dip blue which may or may not have a globe. Some of these are "heavy" boxes and others are standard 263K boxes, but all have a Plate C height clearance.
-GMRC boxes are also on the property a lot. But those come in too many sizes and colors to list.
-FBOX's are also fairly common.

If you provide some specifics on what you're looking for you may get better responses.
 #1286035  by mokanpy

KSmitty wrote:
mokanpy wrote:Is there a current roster available online?
Nope.

You can get broad number series, knowing that not all cars in a series are going to be in service due to attrition and demand. Railpicturearchives would be a good place for that.

-Sappi uses a lot of TR high cubes in brown.
-Old Town uses a lot of RBOX's in really old yellow, like the original Railbox paint, before it was TTX...
-Bucksport seems to be using a lot of COER boxes in a light blue.
-Of course all the mills use some "home road" boxes. 99% of those are going to be in the dip gray with "weeping" white "G", the two tone Pan Am "smurf" with globe, or the new dip blue which may or may not have a globe. Some of these are "heavy" boxes and others are standard 263K boxes, but all have a Plate C height clearance.
-GMRC boxes are also on the property a lot. But those come in too many sizes and colors to list.
-FBOX's are also fairly common.

If you provide some specifics on what you're looking for you may get better responses.
Thanks, I was referring to Pan Am equipment, as this is the Pan Am forum-
 #1286068  by KSmitty

mokanpy wrote:Thanks, I was referring to Pan Am equipment, as this is the Pan Am forum-
Everything I listed, (except maybe the TTX stuff, not sure how that works where B&M owns part of TTX) is leased by Pan Am and in paper service for them. They don't own it, but neither do they own many of the boxes with MEC or B&M reporting marks. I think many or all of the dip blue boxes were sold to and leased back from GE Railcar. GE sends them to PA, overhauls them, dips them, sends them back. Waterville applies the PAR logos.

If you want a list just of cars that Pan Am owns, the only way you're gonna get what you're looking for is from an official roll. Something I doubt a call to the office will net.
 #1286233  by riffian

My newest Official Railway Equipment Register is a bit out of date, but in 2009 there were the following B&M boxcars:

3200-3299 class XP, Freightmaster EOC cushion - Paper loading. 100 cars (less a few)

3300-3399 same details as above, although many numbers are missing. (Retired)

3500-3539 class XL standard box, 27 cars remaining.

Maine Central (MEC) reporting marks listed about 1000 cars scattered between 20000 and 35199 numbers. About 700 were in class XP for paper loading and the rest standard box, class XM.
 #1286620  by 690

There are some of the white ones stashed away on the Madison branch, and yard in Oakland (obviously not in service at the moment).
 #1286646  by HarmonicRock

I actually saw a former B&M white one this afternoon in East Deerfield. Although it now it's lettered for the Finger Lakes railway. Couldn't tell if it was in its original number series as it was tagged up pretty heavy.
 #1286992  by riffian

Speaking of B&M freight cars.....the last time I was at Northern Maine Junction two years ago, there was a long string (about 50 cars) of stored Boston and Maine covered hoppers in the yard there. These were the smaller 50 ton (could be 70 ton, not sure) blue cars with the large B&M herald in the center, from the 5200-5299 series. All 100 cars were still listed on the roster in 2009.
Fast forward two years and I now see these cars on a regular basis on the NS Port Road enroute to the DuPont Edgemoor works in Wilmington, Delaware. These cars, still in full B&M blue with the large herald, have been restenciled to MMIX reporting marks and are a common sight on NS Enola-Wilmington trains 36A and 37A. They can be seen spotted at the DuPont titanium dioxide Edgemoor Works, 4 to 6 cars at a time, from I495. A google search reveals MMIX reporting marks belong to Metal-Matic Company, a manufacturer of high grade carbon tubing.

Not sure if what these cars carry is an inbound load, or an outbound biproduct, but it appears that most, if not all, have found a second life in Delaware. Edgemoor titanium dixide products can be seen on the move all over North America in those white DuPont tri-pure tank cars.
 #1290774  by mokanpy

riffian wrote:Speaking of B&M freight cars.....the last time I was at Northern Maine Junction two years ago, there was a long string (about 50 cars) of stored Boston and Maine covered hoppers in the yard there. These were the smaller 50 ton (could be 70 ton, not sure) blue cars with the large B&M herald in the center, from the 5200-5299 series. All 100 cars were still listed on the roster in 2009.
Fast forward two years and I now see these cars on a regular basis on the NS Port Road enroute to the DuPont Edgemoor works in Wilmington, Delaware. These cars, still in full B&M blue with the large herald, have been restenciled to MMIX reporting marks and are a common sight on NS Enola-Wilmington trains 36A and 37A. They can be seen spotted at the DuPont titanium dioxide Edgemoor Works, 4 to 6 cars at a time, from I495. A google search reveals MMIX reporting marks belong to Metal-Matic Company, a manufacturer of high grade carbon tubing.

Not sure if what these cars carry is an inbound load, or an outbound biproduct, but it appears that most, if not all, have found a second life in Delaware. Edgemoor titanium dixide products can be seen on the move all over North America in those white DuPont tri-pure tank cars.
Photograph them while you can. I saw one at a plant in Wilmington Del on my last AMTK trip.
My buddy found one in Ohio recently-
 #1291719  by mokanpy

HarmonicRock wrote:I actually saw a former B&M white one this afternoon in East Deerfield. Although it now it's lettered for the Finger Lakes railway. Couldn't tell if it was in its original number series as it was tagged up pretty heavy.
Saw this one this afternoon on the NS in Lynchburg, VA. Wish I had my slr, the image is tiny