Railroad Forums 

• Athol Activity

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1275927  by jaymac

If you're going to Athol from the east on Rte. 2 during normal daylight/weekday hours, it might be good to take the Rte. 32 exit and avoid the Rte 2A exit. Utility work is ongoing on 2A for the new shopping center and there is a 1-way stretch with back-ups.
 #1276638  by atholrail

The first revenue load since maybe the early 80's is about to be taken out of Athol. Last week an empty TTX bulkhead flat was spotted in the old yard, and today it sits loaded with fresh cut timber awaiting pickup.
 #1276854  by jaymac

As of 0645/06-16-2014, the timber bulkhead was still in Athol.
 #1279749  by newpylong

Nice. I did some digging on this. There is also a car supposedly at Deerfield that they loaded - it depends on where they are logging. It's some local company trying out loading and sending them to Maine to get cut.

I doubt it will last long ha.
 #1279758  by frrc

newpylong wrote:Nice. I did some digging on this. There is also a car supposedly at Deerfield that they loaded - it depends on where they are logging. It's some local company trying out loading and sending them to Maine to get cut.

Agreed, would not trucking the lumber be faster to Maine ?

J
 #1279760  by newpylong

frrc wrote:
newpylong wrote:Nice. I did some digging on this. There is also a car supposedly at Deerfield that they loaded - it depends on where they are logging. It's some local company trying out loading and sending them to Maine to get cut.

Agreed, would not trucking the lumber be faster to Maine ?

J
Yes but if they continually load and always have cars in transit the reduced cost of rail vs truck would be worth the longer transit time. Logs aren't like shipping Fish, they can sit for a few days.
 #1279779  by BM6569

What are the reporting marks so I can keep an eye out for it on the Waterville trains?
 #1279964  by KSmitty

The loaded TTX bulkhead in question was in POWA this morning in Belgrade.
Any clue on destination, or milling company?
 #1280028  by newpylong

So 13 days just to get to Waterville? Or are you speaking about the second load which was just reported yesterday?