Railroad Forums 

• New or old customers that have returned

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1253732  by Plainvilletrainbuff

It appears that the naugatuck railroad is trying to get back into the freight business again. Looks like they set up a specific site for freight service naugfreight.com. While I don't know if there are any potention customers on thier line if they were able to generate some customers I would assume this would mean more traffic for Pan am given thier interchange in waterbury, ct
 #1253786  by H.F.Malone

NAUG has "been in the freight business" for many years. It was decided to differentiate the web site between freight and passenger, hence the additional freight-centric web site. There have been intermittent freight customers over the years; there are a number of potential freight customers at this time-- stay tuned for developments.
 #1253899  by newpylong

newpylong wrote:
MEC407 wrote:
Bulkheadflat wrote:Cant remember when the last time a customer on ST/GTS/PAR received steady, or any, reefer cars.
The only other one I can think of is High Liner Foods in Portsmouth.

Anyone know if they still get reefers?
Yep, all the time.

C&S Warehouse in Hatfield MA get's an occasional reefer when certain things are in season - definitely not regularly though.
ED-2 heading south from Deerfield to C&S with two reefers today, good timing.
 #1255346  by NashuaActon&Boston

Slightly off topic - does anyone know when Courier in Westford (Forge Village) last received service? Recently I noticed MOW equipment parked on the spur but haven't witnessed any revenue action in at least 15 years. Has the North Chelmsford Courier facility seen any traffic??

Re: returned customers - it has been a pleasant, unexpected surprise to finally witness the revival of the H.E. Fletcher quarry extension to PAR @ Brookside. A mile of Fletcher track in Westford was rebuilt ten years ago and mysteriously remained dormant - never used - until 2012-2013. PAR is surely a-courting on-line customers.
 #1255370  by newpylong

Fletcher spent all the money to rebuild the line in the early 2000's and Guilford porked them on pricing, so it was never used until the last two years when they decided every customer counts.

The spur in Westford that you mentioned hasn't been used in at least that long.
 #1255582  by NashuaActon&Boston

newpylong wrote:Fletcher spent all the money to rebuild the line in the early 2000's and Guilford porked them on pricing, so it was never used until the last two years when they decided every customer counts.

The spur in Westford that you mentioned hasn't been used in at least that long.

Re: Fletcher Quarry - That's the gist of the scenario as I've heard it. Issues w/ Big G kept the line from being operated. I can't imagine how that went over at H.E. Fletcher after they invested +six-figures+ in the rehab of the Nab connection to Brookside. It was frustrating to even witness..
 #1273503  by 690

Pan Am has resumed service to One Steel in Oakland sometime within the last few weeks. Not sure how often they go out there, but it's serviced by WA-1/WA-2.
 #1273520  by gokeefe

690 wrote:Pan Am has resumed service to One Steel in Oakland sometime within the last few weeks. Not sure how often they go out there, but it's serviced by WA-1/WA-2.
What kind of steel is it? Structural? Plate? Do they deliver or only pickup finished products?
 #1273561  by rmccown

doublestack wrote:
gokeefe wrote:
What kind of steel is it? Structural? Plate? Do they deliver or only pickup finished products?
Scrap metal for recycling. See map below.
https://www.google.com/maps?ll=44.55097 ... 9&t=h&z=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Am I blind and just completely missing a spur going in there?
 #1273569  by Watchman318

rmccown wrote:Am I blind and just completely missing a spur going in there?
The "drawn" map shows a siding northeast of the crossing on Pleasant St., but I think it's covered by the shadows of the trees (behind the three houses on Ayer St.) in a satellite view. If you go to Google Street View and "stand" on the crossing looking north, you can see it going to the right, between the trees. Older satellite imagery might show it better, depending on the time of year, etc.

Maybe they're shipping non-ferrous stuff, because I think the price of scrap steel is still pretty low, or at least some types are relatively low.
 #1274319  by bwparker1

rmccown wrote:
doublestack wrote:
gokeefe wrote:
Scrap metal for recycling. See map below.
https://www.google.com/maps?ll=44.55097 ... 9&t=h&z=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Am I blind and just completely missing a spur going in there?
You can see it very well here... Short spur!

http://binged.it/1kA6WQ0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1310433  by spur01887

Is there a new/returning customer coming to Reading? Took one of the earlier Reading trains the other day and noticed, because it was still light outside, that the blue warehouse that's directly behind the Market Basket had some siding work done. Majority of the trees that had overtaken the siding have been cut down and there are some stakes in the ground beside it.