Railroad Forums 

• Lowell activity.

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1219992  by mulfreak

Strange no train thru Wiggenville since late yesterday when they moved out a hanger west bound round two o-clock. Lots of lumber lately. Fulls heading west,empties dedicated to 1 locomotive heading back north 20 ata time at least twice a week. Oil is way down. Scattered amongst mixed freight nothing like last year.
 #1220036  by KSmitty

Oil is rebounding in the last couple weeks. Flow slowed to a trickle. More larger cuts the last week or so. No units, but I don't think the business is down too terribly much over last year, some but not too drastically. Just done differently. Added benefit-Keeps it under the radar of the NUMBY's...
 #1221300  by mulfreak

Very busy today here in Lowell. 4 trains since 8 this morning, total engine count 13 so far. Lumber ,Gypsum and shingles took up 30+ cars one one headed west. They run 2 CSX engines from Lowell solo north and then back again often lately. They run up on the Nth track then come back by within the hour again solo. Any ideas as to why?
 #1221391  by MEC407

Where exactly is this Wiggenville? I can't find it on Google or Bing maps.
 #1221485  by MEC407

Thanks! I'll correct the misspelling in the thread title.
 #1222888  by mulfreak

Wiggenville is in Sth Lowell. There is a bridge that goes over the two tracks on Morton Street. The tracks are about 200 feet from my house and I have a great view of what goes by here. Sometimes I set up my camera in the back yard and take pictures. I've also shot some video but am having a hard time finding a playback program. Today a westbound hanger in on the Sth track and two shorts with 609 and 610 and a couple of HLCX engines(orange and Maroon) eastbound cleared here.
 #1222893  by mulfreak

After two eastbound trains again they run two CSX engines solo thru Wiggenville and back twords the Lowell yard on the nth track in a span of 30 minutes. They maintain about 25 mph both way's. This happens every Saturday. The track to my knowaldge has benn upgrated recently and is rated @ 283,000?. Strange?
 #1223629  by mulfreak

Interesting;today at workaround noon a Pan-Am 601 and the HLCX orange 5318 towing a new MBTA locomotive #2001backwards third in a mixed train heading east past the Lowell Depot. It cleared thru Wiggenville before I got home. They must split it off at LWL JCT as no freight that I am aware of runs along the commuter corridor from Lowell to Boston.
 #1223729  by TJ209

mulfreak wrote:Interesting;today at workaround noon a Pan-Am 601 and the HLCX orange 5318 towing a new MBTA locomotive #2001backwards third in a mixed train heading east past the Lowell Depot. It cleared thru Wiggenville before I got home. They must split it off at LWL JCT as no freight that I am aware of runs along the commuter corridor from Lowell to Boston.
MBTX 2001 was brought by EDPO to the yard in Lawrence, where it was dropped off with a cut of cars. As far as I know it's sitting there now. One of the Lawrence-based switchers will likely bring it into Boston tomorrow via the Wildcat and Lowell Line.
 #1223896  by mulfreak

Great trainspotting there TJ. Thanks. I had a good eye on the Lowell Depot today. The 2001 didn't come back that way that I noticed. The only train before "I changed locations" was the usual 5:30 AM that hangs at the Concord river bridge.
 #1223899  by TJ209

mulfreak wrote:Great trainspotting there TJ. Thanks. I had a good eye on the Lowell Depot today. The 2001 didn't come back that way that I noticed. The only train before "I changed locations" was the usual 5:30 AM that hangs at the Concord river bridge.
Thanks! MBTX 2001, as of 4:30 PM today, remains sitting at the Lawrence yard. She'll probably make the trip into Boston either tonight or tomorrow.
 #1223939  by bmcdr

Thought you guys would like to see what Wigginville looked like in 1928 as compared to a shot I took in 2012.

I've researched through old B&M employee timetables and all reference to Wigginville seems to disappear after 1934, as you can see, there was quite a substantial station there.
WIGG 2012.jpg
WIGG 1928.jpg
 #1224191  by mulfreak

The 5:30 am came in @ 6:40 this morning. 2 HLCX and an oldie but goodie MEC. They pulled up just before the Concord and are still there intact at this time.
There was a 2 PAN AM 601+607 maybe and 1 Guiford that passed thru the depot area eastward around noon today. Not many cars 25? as it streached from the old frieght station before the Meadowstreet crossing to Billy being stationary for 10 minutes just under the depot parkring garage.
 #1224623  by mulfreak

The 2 HCLX with the 607 PAN-AM the one with the MEC tattooed under the window finally cleared here heading west around two today. It pulled in @ 6:40 Thursday morning. Yesterday was dead,nothing thru the Lowell Depot or Wigginville that I witnessed. The two CSX Engines did there usual Saturday run west solo again.