Railroad Forums 

• West-of-Deerfield Gawking

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1350886  by newpylong

If they can make it from ED to Mohawk I don't think NS cares how many set offs or pickups they do enroute. VTRs and BK work is usually done by EDRJ and AD/RJ-whatever but for some reason they did it yesterday. The big delays are usually for power or idiotic dispatching, not work enroute. They had plenty of time to make it yesterday.
 #1350889  by johnpbarlow

An 11R just departed E Binghamton (perhaps the same 11R as above) blocked with Enolas-Taylor's-Enolas. Dispatcher was looking to see if there was a North Shore car in the consist but crew didn't think so. Not clear to me if work was performed at E Binghamton but if this was the same 11R that had 2 CPs for Saratoga, and given K82 left EB before 11R, the head end Enolas and mid train Taylors perhaps came from CP at Mohawk? So 11R is really just a renamed EDMO+252=458 instead of some sort of expedited ED to Enola manifest. But maybe that's the operation that makes the most profit for NS/PAS.

Also, I know it's early days in the acquisition transition but twice I've heard the Scranton - EB K82 turn depart EB southward as the newly arrived 22K was dropping off Taylor intermodal at Liberty St across the river.
 #1353361  by greenwichlirr

newpylong wrote:Get your pictures of the crossbucks now at Fisherman's Lane flashers and maybe gates going in.
Funny to think that the crossing probably has the most expensive set of "crossbucks" now on any railroad in the country, and the new protection installation went up a few months ago, but as of this writing is STILL both gateless & unelectrified with the lights turned at a 90 degree angle.

If someone wants to swim, I'm pretty sure the one old B&M crossbuck is still in the river attached to the pole after being taken down by the feed truck in the accident. The pole (rail) is still laying where it fell but the water never got low enough this summer for me to see if the sign was still attached.
 #1353384  by Lincoln78

Columbus Day was a workday. Arrived at the east portal a little after 10:00 AM. Didn't see anything stopped at Shelburne or Charlemont. About 11:20 the business train came by from the east (two F9, two passenger cars, not too many people onboard). I left around 2 with no further action and got all of about a half mile away when I heard a horn. Made it back in time to catch an westbound mixed freight powered by PanAm engines. Didn't climb the hill quite as fast as the business train.

Saw the west end of a parked train in Charlemont heading out- no engines on that side. Must have missed it driving up due to sun and a desire to keep my eyes on the road..

Foliage was nice; probably approaching peak around today (18 Oct). Temp was about 55, and warmer at lower elevations and closer to Greenfield. As I walked near the mouth of the tunnel I could feel a light cool breeze coming out of it. Felt like it wanted to be fog but wasn't humid enough.
 #1354489  by newpylong

That's timetable speed for everything from North Adams east to Deerfield and west of there there is maybe 4 miles of 40 MPH running through Buskirk the remainder is restricted to 25.
 #1355809  by B&M 1227

11r today had a few ns/sou woodchip cars on it today... is this new?
 #1369082  by jaymac

Any idea of origin of the loads from the EB?
 #1369254  by johnpbarlow

My guess: salt comes from upstate NY mine (Cargill at Ludlowville? Or from American Rock Salt mine at Mt Morris via R&S?) and may be the salt that 31T had been dropping at Saratoga for CP conveyance to VRS at Whitehall? Perhaps CP is now out of the loop as NS/PAS now drop at Hoosick?