Railroad Forums 

• West-of-Deerfield Gawking

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1320047  by johnpbarlow

It's being reported on CPR Sunbury Sub Yahoo forum that a 2nd NS-931 led by CN locomotives is running non-stop directly up the D&H today from Enola to E Deerfield and beyond on PAR. It is speculated this might happen on occasion going forward. I'd be curious if anyone sees this train on PAS (don't know what it would be called) or knows anything further about it or sees a reverse move of this nature. NS 931 symbol is used on CP/D&H for the daily Enola to Montreal/CN train so this is an interesting development.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/cpr ... ages/17082
 #1320246  by CPF363

newpylong wrote:They already have been running. MOPO bypassing Deerfield.
Does this train run in addition to the MOED train between Mohawk and E. Deerfield?
 #1328792  by B&M 1227

is this in response to punting the grain truck into the creek a couple years ago?
 #1344244  by MEC407

Video by GuilfordGuy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBw8h2dg6qM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1346228  by Lincoln78

Any recommendations of the best time to see action at the (west) Hoosac Tunnel the Friday before Labor Day (Sep 4)?

I discovered this site last year and in my visits on two Saturdays last year and the Friday of Memorial Day (four hours from ~2-6) I saw nothing but fishermen. bikers, and trespassers.
 #1346271  by jaymac

Given the wide variability in connections and crewing, the only suggestions are to check the net and keep an ear to the scanner. Otherwise and in the words of that train-watcher Harry Callahan, "Do you feel lucky?"
 #1347285  by Lincoln78

I was lucky. Arrived a little while after 10. Saw two westbounds. I apologize in advance for sub par documentation.

Driving west on Route 2 saw a parked eastbound (NS engines) near Shelburne and another parked train at Charlemont. Arrived shortly after 10 and was rewarded about 15 minutes later with a westbound single stack train (1 x NS plus a UP-colored NS engine). I think it was either the train parked at Charlemont or its counterpart. Many JB Hunt containers.

Shortly after 11 the crossing lights flashed again. This train was two smokey MEC's (climbing at a much slower rate) leading a smaller mixed freight. I then hung around and caught up on reading and occasionally wandered around the area. Around 2 I walked up the road north a little and and was surprised to hear a truck in the parking lot. Turned out to be a PAR truck that just traversed the tunnel. They went across the bridge and then backed up to the road and began to de-train. I asked them if any trains were coming- they said the road had been backed up and I might see one in an hour. I left around 3;30 having seen no further activity. Saw nothing while heading east on 2.

PAR did some work since my last visit over Memorial Day. Crossing was refreshed (new asphalt and rubber rail liners). Stone piles were moved. New rail (last visit some of the rail was flaking). Didn't look for a weld but there is no joint between the west end of the crossing and the tunnel.
 #1350792  by newpylong

11R/EDMO left Deerfield with an NS -9, PAR SD40 and an NS SD90MAC and 144 cars lol. Set off VTRs at North Adams and then picked up at the Battenkill. CP refused the train account 2 Saratogas on the headpin. Funny thing is they are hot loads for Quadraphics in Saratoga which is a CP customer. NS crew OD 1630. Bet they wish they bought the whole thing up to XO.
 #1350797  by BM6569

I thought the whole point of the purchase was to avoid having to deal with CP like this?
 #1350812  by newpylong

One would think so. For the life of me I cannot see how the deal was done with the limits only to Schenectady. They're going to find out quick that Calgary is just as bad to deal with as Billerica.
 #1350876  by johnpbarlow

newpylong wrote:11R/EDMO left Deerfield with an NS -9, PAR SD40 and an NS SD90MAC and 144 cars lol. Set off VTRs at North Adams and then picked up at the Battenkill. CP refused the train account 2 Saratogas on the headpin. Funny thing is they are hot loads for Quadraphics in Saratoga which is a CP customer. NS crew OD 1630. Bet they wish they bought the whole thing up to XO.
Plus does NS intend 11R to become a road local stopping at every intermediate siding/interchange point?