Railroad Forums 

• [Rumor] Hinckley Branch Up for Abandonment?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1185933  by B&M 1227

This has to be a rumor. I would be very surprised if they gave it up, especially with a consistent, relatively important customer on the branch.
 #1186078  by bwparker1

CN9634 wrote:Rumor definitely. 2 - 4 trains a day.

Now if you meant Madison...
Does PanAm still run past the Mill at Madison? I remember that they reopened the line northward a few years back, hopefully to reach a quarry and some type of wood products company.
 #1187952  by KSmitty

necr3849 wrote:...To benefit traffic flow, not any kind of rail abandonment.
Traffic Flow? I thought it was a way for the town to close 2 really crappy crossings that neither Pan Am or MDOT will touch with...
 #1189168  by necr3849

Ever seen how close the PAR units came to hitting pavement at Elm Street? It will certainly benefit PAR not having to stop there for each train which checking that their plows or pilots to make sure they clear. Now they can call D1 and clear CPF 110 without having to restart the pull on the grade for trains bound for Waterville. I was more or less quoting the local press on the traffic flow. They are residential side roads with two ways of getting to dwellings on either side. So, one can use common sense to who makes out here.