Railroad Forums 

• Railfanning Pan Am in New York

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1179462  by Benjamin Maggi

I live in the Capital District yet have rarely seen a Pan-Am train. In fact, I haven't given them much thought at all. Occasionally I will see one going through Mechanicville or parked in the CP yard in Scotia but mostly I have focused on other things. Come spring, I want to take a day and check out their operations.

The October 1998 issues of Trains magazine had (for the time) a really good article on them including a system map. I am sure much has changed in 14 years though. Also, the October 2012 issue of Railfan & Railroad covered this topic briefly, but as in depth as CSX or CP. Since I have heard that their train frequency isn't as high as, say, the just as close CSX mainline between Buffalo and NYC, I would rather chase a train or two then park and watch. Focusing on the area between Rotterdam Junction, NY, and East Deerfield, MA, I would get road maps and plan photographic spots and explore the area.

Questions:

1.) Can anyone who had focused on this line between these spots recommend good photo opportunities? I would imagine the Hoosic Tunnel would be one, but what about any others?

2.) Can anyone give me insight as to their weekday run schedules? Where would be a good place to start, and around what time should I get there?

I previously posted the question in the New York State Railfan forum, but many of the responses were "I don't know." There was some good information there, but expanding the question to more people familiar with Pan Am cannot hurt.

Thanks.
http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 7&start=15
 #1179492  by newpylong

As far as photo opportunities I believe someone had a good article on the B&M West End a few years ago, maybe in Railpace.

As far as schedules - outside of extra unit trains and locals from Rotterdam or North Adams, everything runs in the late afternoon or nights currently. As always on the RR, anything can change though.
 #1179575  by roberttosh

The joint PAS/CP line immediately west of Mechanicville has something like 6 regularly scheduled manifest trains and 4 Intermodal/auto trains. There are also unit Oil, Ethanol, Coal & Grain trains running over this stretch, both destined for PAS points East and the Port of Albany. Depending upon the day of the week, this could add just one or two trains to the count or as many as 6 or 7. As a matter of fact just today I believe there were coal, oil and grain trains all running East over the PAS west end, so it can get pretty busy out there on occasion.
 #1179798  by B&M 1227

The Rotterdam local is still running to North Bennington on Tuesdays and Thursdays. This is a good chase in that the Battenkill and VTR are frequently there to meet them on those days.

206 had often been running in the afternoon but I haven't been out and about much recently.
205, 22k, and 23k don't usually hit the west end until nightfall

Recently EDRJs have been getting to the west end in the mornings, hitting Mickeyville between 7 and noon.

While trains sometimes abide by this schedule, there are days when everything will be in daylight, and days when nothing will be. Your best bet would be to follow RJ-1 which conveniently runs east in the morning, and west in the afternoon, so the sun is usually on your side.

Tim Stockwell's article on the west end was published in a summer 2008 railpace issue and is a great guide. I'm not that familiar with the line past Mickeyville, but east of there just follow 67 to North Hoosick. At the Stewarts make a right and follow 22 to Hoosick Middle, and turn left at the Stewarts there onto 346. At the end of 346 take a right on Route 7, then a left on Cold Spring Rd. This will get you as far as North Adams. There's good shots to be had from Hemstreet Park (across the river from Mechanicville), Fisherman's Lane in Schaughticoke, Johnsonville tower, Buskirk Station, Eagle Bridge, Hoosick Falls, North Petersburg, North Pownal, the Pownal dog racing track, and a handful of locations between there and North Adams.