Railroad Forums 

• Wondering about block lengths in the Portland area

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1178260  by markhb

I'm curious about where, roughly, the block boundaries are in the Portland area on the FML. For example, a freight train leaves Rigby heading TT East for Somewhere Far Away (assume sticking to the FML at least as far as Danville). What point does it have to clear before the next train heading TT East can leave the yard? If anyone can say what those boundaries are, at least in the area of the city, I'd appreciate your sating my curiosity.
 #1178296  by Rockingham Racer

From the Oxford Junction Press Timetable [ and it may be outdated]:

Eastward from Rigby, with the east limits of Rigby located at MP 198.44

CP 198 at MP 197.10, so a following train out of Rigby would get an approach aspect once the first train clears the east limits of CP198 at MP 197.05
CP 197 at MP 196.89
CP 196 at MP 196.72 [Mountain Division / PTC]
CP 195 at MP 196.29
Automatic @ 194.50

Assuming this is still current information, a train following another eastward from Rigby would get a proceed indication fairly quickly, since the blocks are quite short.
 #1178804  by markhb

Ok, thanks! You're right, they really are close.
 #1179534  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

short blocks are awful when you are dealing with freight trains. Look at the mileage you just posted, there are 3 CP's in under a mile and most freight trains are close to a mile these days. Granted I don't know what kind of traffic is coming/going in Rigby, but I'm sure the trains are a decent size and that clear signal will take a little while to come in, especially if trains are following each other out of the yard. This is just like Framingham on the Boston and Albany, CP 21 and CP 22 are only seprated with Framingham station platform...one of our 8 car sets can just fit in the station and when a freight is coming off of the Framingham Secondary going into Nevins yard, it ties up both interlockings for a good 8 to 9 minutes depending on its length which can be close to a mile