Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am Coal Trains

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#439306  by bozotexino

I thought most/all B-units had at least rudimentary "hostler's" controls so they could be moved around at engine servicing facilities. I wonder if those P&W units have them, or no?

bozo

#439376  by NV290

No such controls exist on them.

#439484  by bozotexino

Interesting! I guess it's a good thing the P&W keeps their little shop switcher loco around there at Worcester...

#445929  by Skullitor

bozotexino wrote:
NV290 wrote: No such controls exsist on them.

Interesting! I guess it's a good thing the P&W keeps their little shop switcher loco around there at Worcester...
It's called "THE MIGHTY # 150" He's correct. NO CONTROLS on the ex BN B30-7AB's
Skull :wink:
 #472173  by ShortlinesUSA

Good evening,

Hoping someone may be able to help with a train symbol as I label some slides. Is there a typical symbol that an NS-powered Bow, NH empty coal train westbound through Ayer, MA would have, or are those run as extras with just an engine number and direction?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

#472176  by cpf354

Officially they're NHB plus a number, but the dispatchers and crews just usually call them empty or loaded coal trains.

#474302  by NellsChoo

Seems to me they always call it the LOADED or EMPTY coal train! Nice and simple! :wink: :wink:

JD
 #541057  by pw3901

In The Last Few Weeks. P&W Run Thru Coal Trains To Bow,NH. Now Using (6) P&W Locomotives. Plus 85-90. Cars. NS-Conrail-PW Cars. PWBO On 5/29/08. 4002-3907-3008-3005-3004 (or) 3007-4004. <HB>

#541073  by gprimr1

I'm always amazed at the number of engines GRS needs to achieve the speeds they run at.

#541121  by NV290

The Worcester Main line has some pretty steep grades. A few weeks ago, a P&W coal train with about 80 cars could not even get started at New Bond st with 5 P&W GE's. The crew had to pick up two more engines in Ayer and come back.

The main reason you see so many engines despite the slow speeds is many of the engines are not performing properly. Many have ineffective wheel slip systems, loading issues, transition issues, etc. Properly maintained, modern units would make a big difference in the number of units you see.

#541153  by GP9

When trains can only go 10mph they will have no momentum to go over small hills. :(
 #543652  by Meyblc

I recently saw pictures of a 5 unit lash up of P&W engines bringing a unit coal train up to and from the PSNH coal plant in Bow, NH. I'm wondering, isn't this usually handled by NS engines? Why the P&W?

Don't get me wrong.....It's nice to see the P&W in Southern New Hampshire. It's just not something you see every day.

Mike
 #543683  by johnpbarlow

The NS units power coal trains sourced by NS from southwest Pennsylvania mines. The P&W units power trains loaded with imported coal transloaded from ship at Providence RI.
 #543927  by NV290

Meyblc wrote:I recently saw pictures of a 5 unit lash up of P&W engines bringing a unit coal train up to and from the PSNH coal plant in Bow, NH. I'm wondering, isn't this usually handled by NS engines? Why the P&W?

Don't get me wrong.....It's nice to see the P&W in Southern New Hampshire. It's just not something you see every day.

Mike
As mentioned, you will see that on import coal coming from the P&W. All P&W coal trains for Bow used to come through interchange at Gardner and then were hauled to Bow with PAR power, but the two railroads reached a deal to allow the P&W run through power to be used and the train is now interchanged at Worcester and routed via the Worcester main line to Ayer and then on to the FML. PAR being always power short and in turn causing delays made this deal come to life.