Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am Coal Trains

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1398001  by eustis22

> Perhaps out next President will have a better appreciation for the almost eternal supply of coal our country has.

um, what? You think Clinton is going to order utilities to use dirtier and more expensive goal instead of natural gas? Why do you hate capitalism?
 #1398008  by newpylong

FYI - not a big coal fan but taxing something (in this case fossils fuels/coal) to the point that they cannot be competitive in an "open" market is the opposite of Capitalism.
 #1398009  by eustis22

except for the fact that we have no carbon tax that's almost spot on.

What tax is it you think coal pays that natural gas doesn't?
 #1398013  by newpylong

It does not have to be a "tax", it just has to be something that artificially alters the playing field like a tax. Currently, the Mercury and Air Toxics Standard is one such law. In the future, the Clean Power Plan, etc. Coal plants that have already spent millions adding environmental control equipment will again either need to spend more or stop generating. Combined with the declining price of natural gas it is uneconomical for many coal plants to continue operating.

Again, I am not fan of coal, but we need to call a spade a spade.
 #1398027  by eustis22

OR it could be a worldwide reduction in coal usage which has absolutely nothing to do with US tax policy. Most coal plants AVOIDED the extra expense of scrubbers by using Wyoming coal vs eastern coal as it was lower in sulphur, thus requiring less..well..scrubbing..... But Wyoming coal production is off 30% from 2015. Vietnam is opting to not use coal at all, and China is converting their coal burners to natural gas.

Feel free to blame Obama first, though. Next year you can blame Clinton.
 #1398029  by F-line to Dudley via Park

What does this have to do with Bow? Or prospective PAR coal traffic when there is only one coal-fired plant on the whole damn railroad that only consumes its coal fast enough for monthly deliveries? Does any political argument about coal policy change a single thing about the volume of coal PAR handles to its one and only coal customer?
 #1398142  by eustis22

about as much as any industry using rail does with the actual railroad that services it, I'd say. ymmv
 #1398184  by BowdoinStation

Well, I guess I can admit to putting out information in error.. In a recent post, I mentioned that NHB-07 was going to be it for Coal Trains in Bow for a long while.. I got that info from what I consider a credible source. However, things do change, andl in that time, NHB-08. a Limestone train have been through Bow, and currently NHB-09 is residing on the World Famous Perini Siding in Bow with a sharp SD70ACU, a former SD9043MAC "Big Mac" on the southern lead.
 #1399628  by johnpbarlow

And yet another 532 coal train just arrived at Binghamton mid-day today after a struggle up Clarks Summit when one if its 4 engines failed this morning. I believe it got an assist from 11Z's power.
 #1399718  by BowdoinStation

The 10th Loaded Coal Train Power is currently stored on the Perini Siding in Bow, after arriving in Bow on Saturday (9/3) afternoon. The 11th Loaded Coal Train is starting it's trek eastward..
 #1400766  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Have they increased power output all of a sudden because of the hot summer, or is this just mass-refilling the coal pile to the max in one blitz so they don't have to schedule any coal trains till winter? This is a pretty jarring and sudden change in the delivery spacing.
 #1400773  by doublestack

It's called purchase all the coal you can now, because if the wrong person becomes the next POTUS, there won't be any more mining done in this country.
 #1400776  by CN9634

Who cares, industry changes, railroads adapt and life moves on. Besides, my opinion of coal going away is optimistic towards our environment, which we happen to only have 1 of.