Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am PLED and EDPL

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

#1382017  by freightguy

Could be wrong but if Pan Am is like other railroads those cars of propane bring in way more than carloads of paper products. Even if trains are smaller probably gross a lot more with UN 1075 propane?
 #1382064  by newpylong

Paper loads originating online Pan Am customers used to bring in way more than Propane.

When I worked there, for example a load of gas to Dover brought in $800 and a load of paper to Barbers $4500, paper to Rotterdam $5500.

Rates have changed and if the Pan Am is doing the switching of the LPG it's probably brings in quite a bit more. I know the Claremont gas business brings in over $1M a year to the RR. Though I am willing to bet paper still makes more.
 #1382227  by gokeefe

I never would have guessed that paper was worth so much more. Very interesting.
 #1383669  by Engineer Spike

I think that new construction in Plainville is just about dead. Nearly every empty lot has been used. Southington still has growing room. This population density should help secure business.

One of my friends used to say that Connecticut is a backwater. Transportation wise, he is correct. New York is impossible to get through. A friend who is a trucker said that it is over $100 to go through there with an 18 wheeler. All of the rail traffic backtracks down from the B&A, B&M, or Rutland. A cost study would be needed to see if it is cheaper to pay tolls, or run a rail car on the above mentioned circuitous route. This is noting Poland Spring water comes from the north, so that part of the argument is moot. Trucks can, however still run up to I84, and run on a route which is parallel to the former Maybrook line.

What do you think about using Waterbury for these loads? The lower yard, where Porta Nova was would work, It's also closer to New York.
 #1389576  by amtrak-wnd

EDPL has been MIA the past few days. I heard one last Monday and then again on last Wednesday when they delivered a rail train to Amtrak, but since then there hasn't been any activity. I usually hear them on Mondays and Thursdays but the past two days that the train normally runs have been quiet.
 #1389668  by whatelyrailfan

They ran an EDPL today, it passed my condo in Holyoke at 4:30pm with 36 cars including what looked like six high-side gondolas for the Naugauck's C&D plant. According to the PanAm Yahoo! group, the facility is expected to receive a total of 50 of these.
Peace,
Jonathan
 #1389682  by amtrak-wnd

I saw that train here in Windsor. I was in Berlin earlier and the day and it looked like Amtrak was doing a lot of work on Track 5 which is the track that connects to the Waterbury Branch, so that explains why there hadn't been any trains.

I counted 8 of the cars going to the Naugatuck, all high side gondolas with IFRX marks.
 #1398262  by MEC407

Video by Chessiecat97:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK1qZA6kv8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1398468  by CannaScrews

I wonder where that LORAM ballast cleaner(??) is going.
 #1398629  by F-line to Dudley via Park

It was PLED. Big G-paint leader...didn't squint hard enough to catch the number in the unedited video here: http://fox61.com/2016/08/26/train-carry ... -hartford/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 3 cars were carrying C&D. Not very dramatic...Hartford FD said the crew alerted ASAP at first sight of flames and were instructed to pull into Flower St. crossing so the fire trucks had close-up access. Flames grew to sorta impressive-looking by the time it reached Flower, but that was a known part of the plan. HFFD said they knocked it out in a few minutes.
 #1398656  by MEC407

I once heard someone refer to this railroad as a Dumpster fire, but this is going too far... :wink: