Railroad Forums 

• POSE / SEPO (Portland - Selkirk trains)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1418945  by whatelyrailfan

Sunday night SEPO passed behind my condo here in Holyoke at 9:05pm, with a VERY long train. When it's dark I judge train lengths not by estimating speed, but the amount of time it takes from when I first see the locomotives, and when the crossing lights stop flashing. This one SEEMED like 100+ cars, is this normal for the POSE/SEPO trains? And how long will the Worcester Main be closed? I'd LOVE to see one of these in daylight!
Peace,
Jonathan
 #1418947  by johnhenry

With all the dirt cars being added lately, POSE/SEPO has been 100 to 125 cars long lately.
This morning, Q427 took 28 loaded dirt cars from Barber, leaving one bad order dirt and 2 CSX engines at Greendale siding.
 #1418970  by johnpbarlow

whatelyrailfan wrote:I'm going to assume that on the POSE detour, the train will head west at Springfield. Am I correct, and if so, how is it done?
Peace,
Jonathan
See attached aerial photo. So POSE could take the PAR-CSX connecting track in the NE quadrant of the diamond highlighted in yellow to head east on CSX main through the Amtrak station. Once POSE is completely on the CSX main east of the river bridge the power will either a.) run around the train east of the river and then head west (the blue arrow) or b.) the power will back the train across the river into W Springfield yard where the power will change ends and head west. Alternatively the SE quadrant Amtrak-CSX connection could also be used providing a simpler move in that POSE would pull across the diamond and then back onto the CSX main at the Amtrak station - power wouldn't need to change ends but Amtrak rails are involved.
Attachments:
POSE route Springfield.JPG
POSE route Springfield.JPG (187.35 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
 #1418984  by whatelyrailfan

johnpbarlow wrote:
whatelyrailfan wrote:I'm going to assume that on the POSE detour, the train will head west at Springfield. Am I correct, and if so, how is it done?
Peace,
Jonathan
See attached aerial photo. So POSE could take the PAR-CSX connecting track in the NE quadrant of the diamond highlighted in yellow to head east on CSX main through the Amtrak station. Once POSE is completely on the CSX main east of the river bridge the power will either a.) run around the train east of the river and then head west (the blue arrow) or b.) the power will back the train across the river into W Springfield yard where the power will change ends and head west. Alternatively the SE quadrant Amtrak-CSX connection could also be used providing a simpler move in that POSE would pull across the diamond and then back onto the CSX main at the Amtrak station - power wouldn't need to change ends but Amtrak rails are involved.
I was figuring power runaround as well, can that long of a freight be pushed across the river into the yard? I'd think the runaround in Springfield would make more sense, just considering the time a train that length will take to clear the switch.
Peace,
Jonathan
 #1419022  by Backshophoss

With the Springfield station being rebuilt,and parts of the platforms are still a construction zone,
believe Amtrak will NOT allow a freight reverse move thru the platform tracks.
Would be safer/better for a yard engine to couple on and lead the reverse move into CSX's W Springfield yard.
 #1419057  by johnhenry

I was at the derailment site yesterday afternoon. They had re-railed 2 loaded dirt cars on the north end and had a Kershaw crane hooked to the north end of the next car which was way off the track. When I left they had un-hooked it, don't know why. Several more badly derailed cars to the south as well as missing west side rail. Workers working on the track south of that, followed by 2 CSX engines waiting. Looks like it could be a few more days.
 #1419060  by whatelyrailfan

newpylong wrote:There is another one coming east out of RJ this morning too.
What is the designation please, and will it be going north/south on the Conn. River, or not? If yes, can you or someone else provide a rough time frame for me?
Peace,
Jonathan
 #1419067  by KSmitty

whatelyrailfan wrote:
newpylong wrote:There is another one coming east out of RJ this morning too.
And will it be going north/south on the Conn. River, or not? If yes, can you or someone else provide a :wink: rough time frame for me?
Peace,
Jonathan
No. If it's east out of RJ it's not going down the Conn River. That makes no sense. Why would CSX interchange a train to Pan Am in NY only to take it back in western Mass after running it across a much longer and more complicated routing?

Time frames on a railroad, especially one in reroute mode are impossible to predict.