Railroad Forums 

• Mothballed equipment in Scotia NY

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1141304  by JBConn

This may not be the right place to post this, but there is a PAR freight in the attached photo, so here goes.

While Google map cruising near Scotia, NY I saw an odd sight. On either side of the freight mainline there are a number of stored pieces of equipment. I am wondering what they are and why they come to be there. See the linked photo:

http://goo.gl/maps/8ggse pan and zoom to see the whole area.

It looks like streamlined locomotives and coaches. Some seem to be shrink-wrapped. Lack of visible exhaust, fans, etc on the "locomotives" and the fairings near the "front" that look like they might once have held pantographs imply they are electric. They also look low compared to the adjacent freight cars.

GE used to have facilities in the area, but I did not think they were at all train-related.
 #1141362  by riffian

Former Amtrak turboliner equipment, owned by the State of New York and rebuilt by them. Recently put up for sale (sold?) for scrap. A great deal of New York tax payer funds was expended (wasted) in this project.
 #1141501  by JBConn

Interesting, Thanks.

I may wander over to the New York railfan board. I'm curious to find out more about it, starting with whose bright idea this project was in the first place.