Railroad Forums 

• Former Chemical Company at Leeds Jct.

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1131410  by KSmitty

There used to be a chemical or fertilizer company on Leeds Junction Road, in Wales. They used to take tanks, I think. They're long gone, but I was hoping someone here might know the name of the company and what the circumstances around the plant's closure were.
Thanks!
 #1132631  by bubbytrains

If I recall correctly, it was called NUTRITE and CAVENDISH AGRI SERVICES (I can't remember which name came first) and was a fertilizer company as you suggest. They received mostly tank cars but I saw an occasional covered hopper as well. Not surprisingly, being an agricultural industry it seemed to be a very seasonal business and they'd go a long stretch of time without any rail cars. I don't know what the exact circumstances of their going out of business were other than it's just one in a long list of companies going under here in Maine. At some point the AGWAY at Rumford Jct. (Hackett Rd., Auburn) came under their control but didn't last long.
--Alan S.
 #1132650  by KSmitty

I came across the Cavendish name last night. Thanks to the "FAQ" here I was able to get it off the D1 mileposts link. Nutrite is a new name, thanks very much for that! I'll have to look into it. Unfortuently, if its anything like Cavendish finding any information on the plant will be near impossible...
 #1132963  by gokeefe

KSmitty wrote:I came across the Cavendish name last night. Thanks to the "FAQ" here I was able to get it off the D1 mileposts link. Nutrite is a new name, thanks very much for that! I'll have to look into it. Unfortuently, if its anything like Cavendish finding any information on the plant will be near impossible...
Cavendish is a brand name used by Irving. They recently opened up a major new fertilizer plant in Aroostook County, and I believe it will be rail served.