Railroad Forums 

• POED / EDPO (Portland - East Deerfield trains)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1376612  by Mike16

Hi Folks,

I just moved to Portsmouth, NH and looking to do some railfanning.
I noticed a few shots from Exeter, NH - which is not far from my house - and am
curious if that is the best spot to perhaps checking out some action?

I don't mind driving a little bit, but coming from the Philadelphia area, I am just not
sure of the best places quite yet.

Any help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Also, do they frequent the radio in this area, or will my scanner be dead air most of the time?

Cheers,
B/M Mike
 #1376632  by 690

Can't really help you out much with the radio chatter or locations, that's a bit further west than I usually go, but I'd recommend joining the Facebook group Pan Am Railfans, there are a lot of members there that live in that area, and report trains going through.
 #1376696  by WN&P

POED rolled through Durham at around 5:00 PM today, in the general area of Exeter.

I don't know if you're aware of the fred frequencies 457.9375 MHz and 452.9375. If you see one of these on your scanner its likely there is a train within a few miles of you. You can use those to see if you're likely to see anything regardless of actual conversation over the radio
 #1376873  by BostonUrbEx

WN&P wrote:POED rolled through Durham at around 5:00 PM today, in the general area of Exeter.

I don't know if you're aware of the fred frequencies 457.9375 MHz and 452.9375. If you see one of these on your scanner its likely there is a train within a few miles of you. You can use those to see if you're likely to see anything regardless of actual conversation over the radio
You can hear an EOT with a scanner?!
 #1376882  by KSmitty

BostonUrbEx wrote:What does it sound like?
Its a chirp.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bqcvCt9aNAQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Length and frequency vary with air pressure and train line status. It can be nearly constant around yards, and a great sound if youre in the boonies at a crossing...short range of 2-5 miles maybe, so if you hear it you know a train is close.
 #1380495  by atholrail

Here's shot of POED hustling across the Scarborough Marsh last Sunday...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123370123 ... ed-public/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;