Railroad Forums 

• "Up North" Gawking (District 1 sightings)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1354330  by Mikejf

The view of the Androscoggin River Bridge has recently been improved. Due to some power line construction, all trees and brush have been removed from between the parking garage on Middle Street in Lewiston and the tracks, all along the river. Nice unobstructed view of the bridge and island. I did not get a picture
 #1355079  by hh660

2:50 PM, 10.29.15, a fairly long WAPO (?), heading west on track 2, passed by the Mountain Branch. The past few west (and east) bound trains have been very short, this was quite the exception. Didn't count because I figured it was another short train.
Right after it cleared, an engine an 4 or 5 cars came off the Mountain Branch and followed it into Rigby. I believe that this train had only one car from the mill, the other propane cars were picked up at yard eight-I think.
Behind the new IMT site near the water, there is a large crane, a backhoe with a very long arm and a large dumptruck starting to do something in the area. perhaps demo of unnecessary structures a part of the new freezer facility?
S
 #1355081  by newpylong

Who is the fuel company across the Amtrak station in Portland and when is the last time they got cars? Fuel customers seem to be the only ones that keep their sidings and keep them in good shape even if they don't currently get cars.
 #1355089  by MEC407

The propane dealer near the Amtrak station is Suburban Propane. Not sure when they last used rail, but they have no plans to use rail in the future: they'll be moving to a non-rail-served site pretty soon as the Thompson's Point redevelopment progresses.
 #1355097  by gokeefe

Suburban seems to be somewhat of a contrarian in their field. Many other propane dealers seems to be doing exactly the opposite and either reactivating rail served facilities or building new ones.
 #1355137  by KSmitty

newpylong wrote:Like?

The only one I can think of is Dead River? in Westbrook. The rest are wholesale distributors.
Dead River still does a lot of direct deliveries, Hampden (CMQ), Houlton, Madawaska, Presque Isle (MNR). It will be interesting to see how long that continues as they move their operations ever southward.

Otherwise I can't think of any other smaller LP operations receiving by rail.
 #1355151  by KSmitty

newpylong wrote:Latest scuttlebutt for up there:

Portland to SLR for Eimskip and Waterville to PAS for Poland Spring.
Why would they use Waterville for PS? Portland is closer to Poland, its in the right direction, and most importantly it cuts out 90 miles of 10/25mph running in favor of a 40mph run to the west. Especially since a lot of the equipment was borrowed from Waterville for use in Portland (Stackers, etc...).
 #1355208  by emyers

unrelated to above, but last night 2 engines, 3001 and another (couldn't get the number), dropped probably 10 or 12 box cars at expera in old town, even though I know the mill is shut down. Anyone know what they were doing? When they were approaching the mill they still had the boxcars and when they got to old town station it was just the 2 engines.