Railroad Forums 

• "Up North" Gawking (District 1 sightings)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1350932  by F-line to Dudley via Park

newpylong wrote:I was sent a picture of a washout in Leeds, Me showing a complete loss of roadbed 25 feet t deep and probably 30 wide. The tracks are suspended in the air. I don't know if this is on the Rumford or Mainline.
They might as well wait till middle of next week to attempt a repair. NOAA's latest storm track for Joaquin has it at tropical storm force with cone centered on the mouth of the Connecticut River by Tuesday morning: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphic ... e#contents" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Maine's getting supersoaked again even if it fizzles or banks east.
 #1350944  by KSmitty

Yeah, they've been busy today. I've seen a couple of those bad ass rotary dumps headed that way, and a couple of those site light trailers, a bunch of track cars, a welder, etc, etc...Looks like an all nighter and then some for the boys in the track department.

Washouts elsewhere too, and this isn't the worst. NBSR reportedly lost a bridge just east of McAdam...

Certainly an expensive week, and its not going to get any better is Joaquin hits us...
 #1350963  by KSmitty

Drove through a bit ago. Looks like the following is happening out at Cressey.

Couple of contractors are hauling in fill in big 18YD wheelers. They are dumping it basically in 1 lane of the road. Pan Am bucket loader is filling up the rotary dump wheelers Pan Am has out there which are shuttling it out to the above mentioned hole. Flat bed with crane is there, empty but they came down with a big culvert. I counted 6 3/4 or 1 ton trucks with globes on the door as well, and a correspondingly large amount of vests and hardhats. Quite an army of people and machines. They should make short work of the structural repairs. Then it will be up to the track department to get it aligned, tamped, etc...
 #1351094  by KSmitty

A dip blue and a big G with a a handful of ballast cars is out on the Leeds washout now. Still a bunch of people there, but with the exception of a bucket loader its all 3/4 tons and passenger cars. They walked WAPO over the washout site around noon today. Line is "open" but I'm sure there will be more work or a 5mph speedo.

They've also got Right plugged up with boxes, I assume the mills on the branch don't want them and they need space elsewhere. Wonder if things get bad enough on the branch if we'll see them stored at Stricklands?
 #1352322  by KSmitty

Here is the washout in Winn, today 10/10/2015. Between 5-10' deep, about 25' wide. Worse on the river side than the road side. They have nearly 40 cars of Keag's at NMJ, be interesting to see if/when they get this patched up...The road is the east end of Main St in Winn.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43621116@ ... ed-public/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1354106  by gokeefe

I have noticed that lately the tracks in the Winthrop area (still) look about as good as they ever have and that MoW forces have continued to be regulars in the area in a fashion I can't remember in the past.