Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am snow fighting equipment

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1314140  by KSmitty

There has previously been:
1 single track Russell Plow at Woodland.
1-2 single track Russell Plow(s) at Northern Maine Jct.
2 single track Russell Plows at Waterville.
1 single track Russell Plow and 1 Jordan Spreader at Rigby.
This is all former MEC equipment in the MEC M70-99 series. The plow from Woodland migrated back to the main network in the fall of 2012, following the sale of trackage to Woodland Rail. Northern Maine was down to 1 Russell, and may or may not currently still host that. Waterville and Rigby both have their allotments of 2. The "extra" equipment from NMJ and Woodland is most likely at Waterville.

There are 2 gray plows (Walthers just released a model of them) in Pan Am paint. One each at Waterville and Rigby. Everything else is still in ratty MEC green, the D-2/3 stuff is in B&M blue.

This storm should be big enough to call out the plows, especially to clear sidings and other tracks that don't see frequent enough use to keep clear during the storm. While ~24" is a good storm, it's not going to be a huge problem. Really, once you get 8 or 10 anything more is the same. They'll have to run some plow extras and spend Wednesday digging switches, but shouldn't be too bad especially coming off the warm stretch that took much of the snow pack.

I know I'm glad the banks shrank, something like this is greatly complicated by big banks when you run out of room to put snow.
 #1314145  by MEC407

I take back what I wrote about there being a single track B&M plow at East Deerfield. I can't seem to find any evidence of that. I believe they just have the two B&M double track plows.
 #1314174  by MEC407

Might have been one of the MEC plows perhaps. They've been known to go west from time to time.
 #1314194  by gokeefe

Yet again, Pan Am is "The Most Interesting Railroad in New England".

I've been trying to think of examples of other railroads who have snow removal equipment of similar age and condition. Naturally, I failed.

I even watched a recent video on YouTube of a rotary plow that the Union Pacific once owned which was built in the 60s and retired in the late 90s. That UP rotary plow had a mere 30 years of service which at this point is dwarfed by double that amount for Pan Am's "rolling museum" of Russell Plows and Jordan spreaders.
 #1314203  by johnpbarlow

A week or so back, there was a Portec "Hurricane" Jet Snow Blower parked near the east wye outside Hill Yd at Ayer. And a few years back, there was a plow at Nashua Yd.
 #1314277  by b&m 1566

I saw those two plows in the Nashua yard myself a year ago or so but haven't been down that dirt driveway since. l don't know anything about the blue dip plow if it still there or not but the B&M plow that is there (or was), I've been told has resided in the Nashua yard for years, (long before the Guilford era).
 #1314300  by MEC407

That seems plausible. B&M always kept at least one plow at Nashua.
 #1314618  by rp00005

Has anyone seen B&M snowplow W3738, which was in Nashua Yard until about two years ago; rumor has it that it went to Waterville to be painted B&M retro; or, it was sold; or, it was cut up for scrap.
 #1315292  by MEC407

I guess they didn't deem the Russells and Jordans necessary for this storm!

Video by Derek Carpine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lXjQH3sFSM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1315342  by gokeefe

MEC407 wrote:I guess they didn't deem the Russells and Jordans necessary for this storm!
I saw a piece of MoW equipment being used on Friday night coming through Winthrop.

So, agreed. They definitely didn't. Not sure how much longer they'll be able to get away with that now that the snow banks are so high. The spreader in particular could see some use to push the snow banks back.