• Fairfield Siding

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by deeptrax

I noticed a long string of PanAm boxcars on the Fairfield siding near I-95 both sunday and today, as well as last time I was there in April. Are these operational? What's the deal? Thanks
  by CSX Conductor

I am not familiar with the area that you are referring to, but possibly the cars are not needed and are just placed there "in storage" to free up space in other yards.
  by deeptrax

CSX Conductor wrote:I am not familiar with the area that you are referring to
In Fairfield, Maine, about 4 miles north of the Waterville Yard.
  by doublestack

deeptrax wrote:I noticed a long string of PanAm boxcars on the Fairfield siding near I-95 both sunday and today, as well as last time I was there in April. Are these operational? What's the deal? Thanks
Below is a Bing map aerial view of the cars. They are mostly the old white Guilford FMC 200 series cars that are not in use and out_of_service and been parked on that siding for several years.
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=rf06y8 ... orm=LMLTCC
Now that I think of it, those same cars have been there close to 10 years by now.
  by Mikejf

Cars are in Benton actually. I have noticed the same Blue B&M Boxcars visible for the last 5 years. No movement.

Mike