Railroad Forums 

• CSX Track Upgrades & Infrastructure of Pan Am

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1619069  by CN9634

CPF66 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:44 pm With CSX in full PSR mode, I don't see them wasting that kind of money just yet.
Not so sure CSX is full PSR mode….there is a lot more meat to the bone than they thought, especially the conversations happening with Port of Saint John. They’ll have something much before then, remember they’ve got some single stack lanes but with the National Gateway project wrapping up they can focus on other obstructed lines.

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... me-growth/
 #1619114  by newpylong

In my discussions with those that meet with CSX I've gathered that while they certainly did their pre P&S homework, Jacksonville continues to be amazed at how much business and potential business there is for a railroad that was so undercapitalized.

I think it may move from a purely "generational purchase opportunity" (ie so someone else doesn't) to one they are excited about and see value in integrating with the rest of their system.
 #1619263  by bostontrainguy

Can anyone verify that the weight of the new rail is 136? CSX has 136 lb. rail down here in Florida on the S line and they run it hard and fast. You'll see every kind of train, some monsters over 200 cars, and you can pace them along route 301 at 60 mph.
 #1619270  by markhb

S1f3432 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:30 pm PT Tower controlled from Rigby Yard to Sodom on the Lower Road Main Line including the approaches on the Mountain Subdivision at Mountain Jct. (to Larrabee Rd.) and the Back Road Main Line at Royal Junction.
Where is, or was, Sodom?
 #1619281  by MEC407

According to the August 1965 issue of the Maine Central Railroad company newsletter, in an article discussing the new installation of CTC signaling on the Portland-to-Freeport mainline, "The new CTC territory runs from Riverside Street, Portland, location of a new railroad operating point called Falmouth, to another new operating point called Sodom, two miles beyond Yarmouth Junction."

Also, if you type "Sodom, Maine" into Google Maps, it shows a location in Yarmouth, not far from the railroad:
Attachments:
Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 12.48.17.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 12.48.17.png (206.65 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
Attachments:
(846.95 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
 #1619285  by markhb

Thank you!
 #1619299  by S1f3432

Sodom was the east end and Low Road was the west end of a stretch of double track with
spring switches at each end, with the interlocking signals at each end controlled by Tower PT.
Low Road was roughly half a mile east of Yarmouth Junction, just east of the North Road crossing.
Westward trains would leave their train east of the switch at Low Road while delivering cars to
the Grand Trunk at Yarmouth Jct.
 #1619377  by KuBand12

bostontrainguy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:47 am Can anyone verify that the weight of the new rail is 136? CSX has 136 lb. rail down here in Florida on the S line and they run it hard and fast. You'll see every kind of train, some monsters over 200 cars, and you can pace them along route 301 at 60 mph.
I can't personally verify it but the guy who did this video of a CWR train headed to the interchange with Eastern Maine Rwy at Mattawamkeag puts it in the description of this video as 136 lb.
https://youtu.be/qB8K8u3XbP0