Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1555393  by PBMcGinnis

gokeefe wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:29 pm Interesting. First I've heard they were moving any bottled water at all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Pan Am has been moving containers of Poland Springs Water from Waterville to Ayer for 5 years now. No frozen loads in transit.
 #1555394  by NHV 669

PBM, he was responding to hearing of SLR/CN handling such loads during their joint intermodal service; they haven't been operating that service for six plus years now. Although some Eimskip containers did go west on SLR within the last few years, don't recall if those were water loads or other cargo...
 #1555404  by CN9634

There was a boxcar test done by Poland Springs before the intermodals that went very badly with damaged product, not sure if it was a freeze issue too or what.

PS had temperature monitors in the boxes the first year to track that. Freeze protect for container/truck loads in most places is best achieved by keeping products moving, that's at least in intermodal on the truck side they would just idle the cab under a box to keep it freeze protected... also keep the truck warmed up so it had no start problems after a cold night.
 #1555420  by newpylong

There was at least one test boxcar move when I was there, so it was quite a long time ago. I remember it coming through Deerfield when I was working the hump. It took an exorbitant amount of time to get off the system from my recollection.

Back to the sale, the scuttlebutt is the same as it was before that AR&P article, down to two Investment firms.
 #1555586  by gokeefe

So Fortress is one (?) ... Perhaps Brookfield is another ... I wonder if Lindsay Goldberg out of NYC could swing this ... They own Pixelle ... (new Jay mill owner) ...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1555619  by johnpbarlow

Perhaps old news but there's chatter on the Pan Am Railfans Facebook page that there's a lot of 10mph track on D3 west of the Hoosac Tunnel and in particular between Williamstown MA and the Hudson River bridge. There is some speculation that the plan to fix these speedos may not come to pass due to future uncertainties.
 #1555620  by CN9634

I think there is a misconception in the community with Fortress... I’ve heard Fortress “the company that owns FEC” but as we all know Fortress sold FEC a few years back to Grupo Mexico. Also as far as I understand Fortress has stated they are done with the RR business to focus on other infrastructure projects. Could be wrong of course since I don’t think anyone here has a definitive idea of who, but in any case we should know in the next week or so I am told (again who really knows).
 #1555625  by newpylong

johnpbarlow wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:50 am Perhaps old news but there's chatter on the Pan Am Railfans Facebook page that there's a lot of 10mph track on D3 west of the Hoosac Tunnel and in particular between Williamstown MA and the Hudson River bridge. There is some speculation that the plan to fix these speedos may not come to pass due to future uncertainties.
Been that way since the tunnel cave in. All their section guys from out west are still working on the tunnel and they did not hire more. I don't see those speedos going anywhere before the sale they just don't care.
 #1555718  by johnpbarlow

Meanwhile, on the west side of the Hudson River, NS has had a tie and surface gang going at it on the D&H around Cobleskill-Delanson for the past couple of weeks. Having said that, it's pretty clear based on the NS Q3 2020 analyst con call that NS is in belt-tightening mode v. growing the top line through investment (ie, the topic of NS interest in seeing Pan Am being sold to a new owner was not raised by NS or any analyst). For example, not only did NS close the humps at Enola and Macon GA, the only incremental capital investment that was alluded to was the possible lengthening of sidings on unspecified lines to accommodate bigger trains.
Attachments:
NS Engineering map late Oct 2020.JPG
NS Engineering map late Oct 2020.JPG (68.41 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
 #1555738  by bostontrainguy

newpylong wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:34 am Been that way since the tunnel cave in. All their section guys from out west are still working on the tunnel and they did not hire more. I don't see those speedos going anywhere before the sale they just don't care.
Why should they care? They are selling the whole thing and spending huge amounts of money to upgrade things that will not bring them any additional money would be stupid. Just makes sense at this point not to make any investment in the property.
 #1555771  by NRGeep

Seems to have been the GRS/Pan Am business plan from the beginning to “not make an investment” in their property, unless of course someone else pays for it.
 #1555782  by jaymac

johnpbarlow-
Tnx for the link. The promise v. delivery irony is more than enough to cure global anemia.
To add to the irony, YouTube -- at least when I watched it -- segued into a video about the MEC strike that segued into another video about the MEC strike, both featuring an on-the-ground MEC 407, part of a picked-switch incident in Brewer.
 #1555783  by MEC407

jaymac wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:48 am . . . featuring an on-the-ground MEC 407, part of a picked-switch incident in Brewer.
"Look what they did to my boy..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxJacGw8kvc