Railroad Forums 

• "Up North" Gawking (District 1 sightings)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1550967  by 690

All the product out of Dover that is shipped by rail goes west over CP, as does the product out of Jackman. The Enfield site is a seperate site to the other two.
 #1551706  by backroadrails

Pleasant River is currently shipping all the product to Dover to be processed through the kilns since the one at Enfield isn't operational currently. Pleasant River/Moose River has done a good amount of expansion in the past few years, besides the upgrades at Jackman and Dover as well as the purchase of the mill at Enfield, they have also purchased AW Chaffee Transport in Clinton, ME and have just about built a brand new fleet of OTR trucks (Chaffee mainly hauled chips and pulp before) and I believe the pine board mills in Ellsworth and Sanford? are being upgraded in the next few years.
 #1552470  by alcohh660

I saw a very long train do a reverse move on the tracks adjacent to the Veterans Bridge yesterday. It backed all the way on track 1, from under the South Portland rt 1 exit, to the crossover at the oil plant-just before rr trestle. As soon as it ended up on track 2, the Downeaster passed heading east. The freight then stayed on track 2 and continued towards Rigby.
Usually the freights heading west stay on track 2 after switching to it at Congress Street.
Anyone know why this happened- track work, mistake?
S
 #1553347  by roberttosh

I was surprised to see so much lumber traffic on that video coming out of Saint John. I know there's the wallboard plant, but not aware of any on-line lumber mills. Would all that traffic have been from the reload at the NBSR yard? I didn't think they did more than a handful of cars per day.
 #1554152  by backroadrails

While on Facebook I found a post from one of the railfans up north, who reported that WANM had 15+ DODX flats? Where would these be going? The only places I could think of would be a National Guard move out of NMJ, or maybe a move of equipment from overseas via Searsport.
 #1554210  by fromway

Any and I say again, ANY equipment coming to Loring for rehab has been arriving by truck. The agency that was doing the rehab work ran out of military work and turned to rehabbing busses for the MTA and needed a bail out from the state to keep it going, the last I heard. The aforementioned cars may be headed to LP in Houlton for laminated pieces that can not be transported by truck. They have used them in the past and that is why I think they are headed there.