Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1552886  by newpylong

QB 52.32 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:34 am
newpylong wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:58 pm So when that does not happen do I get to say I told you so?
LOL, I'd generously say that we'd be even! Still waiting for that intermodal service connecting with CSX and NS into Maine that "deep throat" assured would start March, 2014. And, to be fair, with all the free passes over the years and odds in your favor since you're betting the entire field against my single pick, you should be offering something worthwhile in that deal.

Can you ask "deep throat" why GWI has had no showing in the zig zag rumor reporting, beyond matching your own wrong paradigm about STB regulation, when they are an important New England player?

Word on the street is that a case of Orange Crush was seen being loaded onto the OCS.
A) What rumor about intermodal service to Maine? Is there something that I specifically said would happen but didn't?
B) I have no idea what your second and third paragraph mean.

I drew up a nice little sketch showing GWI would literally have control of EVERY possible interchange with a Class I (and the majority of any other railroad) in and out of New England. Phrases such as, "needs to be seen from a Class I perspective" do not pass muster.

I don't think they would be a bad pick per se, but I have yet to meet one person in the industry who does not foresee regulatory concerns if this were to become true. I would even bet even if GWI had the cash and the will, they wouldn't even bother trying because they would recognize this.
 #1552891  by PBMcGinnis

Some of you are really underestimating how deep and how long the Blue Team and the Orange Team have rivaled each other. Just because the Orange Team may have the cash doesn't mean the Blue Team wants their money. You haven't been following all the past litigation between the 2 over the trackage rights on the northern half of the Conn River. Allowing the Orange Team to bid is due diligence on the part of the seller, no more, no less.
 #1552893  by gokeefe

That perspective is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1552936  by bostontrainguy

Possible new alternative to expanding Hoosac? This system claims to increase clearance in tunnels by over 15" over standard ballasted track. That would be adequate to open Hoosac to domestic double-stacks without the need to even touch the tunnel ceiling. Seems like a good option to explore.

https://balfourbeatty.com/media/29022/e ... asheet.pdf
 #1552956  by Safetee

StarTrak has a similar product with standard rail sections that has had much success in this country. But it ain't cheap.
 #1552969  by Trinnau

The problem with the tunnel is you can't drop the floor because of water. Effectively lowering the "tie profile" with something like this still has the same effect. The rails are lower therefore have a higher chance of being in/under water. Been discussed in the Tunnel Thread.
 #1552978  by bostontrainguy

I certainly am no expert on this but I do know the tunnel is sloped from the center to both portals. Since this product is kind of like a sluiceway (especially with the "derailment containment" side panels), wouldn't the water just roll down the channel? Some kind of catch basin could be built at each portal if neccessary.

May work very well.
Last edited by MEC407 on Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1553031  by Safetee

the biggest issue with ice in the tunnel historically has been tunnel roof ice. whether this will still be an issue after all the majority of the tunnel has been shot creted remains to be seen.
 #1553087  by fromway

Susie C. sure is throwing everything that she can for her re-election. Maybe she can convince Mr. Mellon to throw a couple of bucks in and he can up the asking price.
 #1553092  by NYC27

fromway wrote:Susie C. sure is throwing everything that she can for her re-election. Maybe she can convince Mr. Mellon to throw a couple of bucks in and he can up the asking price.
The first CRISI grant is still good. DC has just been slow to release the funds.
 #1553107  by Gilbert B Norman

Who knows what Timothy J wants for dropping a for a Trump Second Term?

I would have thought an Ambassorship - a good one. No Rwanda or those filled by career Foreign Service types; but someone here noted he is camera (presumably people as well) shy.

But Sen. Collins (R-ME) certainly got her name all over the place with the grant to Pan Am, or successor.

Finally, I wish to thank Mr. CN.9634 for locating that material showing all interchange points within the several Maine rail systems. That clarified much confusion of mine regarding with whom and where interchanges occur.
 #1553111  by CN9634

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:43 pm Finally, I wish to thank Mr. CN.9634 for locating that material showing all interchange points within the several Maine rail systems. That clarified much confusion of mine regarding with whom and where interchanges occur.
State of Maine provides a comprehensive system map each year as well in addition:

https://www.maine.gov/mdot/maps/docs/20 ... System.pdf