Railroad Forums 

• Portsmouth Branch Activity

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1540953  by Jonathan603

I thought we were talking about the siding that runs alongside the woods track. It runs from Rockingham and ends before the 85 bridge? That’s a pretty small stretch.
 #1540965  by Trinnau

That's referred to as the passing track. Probably dates back to a much busier time and different use. The Controlled Siding we are discussing is the name for the 2nd track from 256 to 258.
 #1543401  by Jonathan603

I have not seen or heard any DO-1 action on the branch line in the past week. Two CH and some gondala's have been sat at the yard for a few days at least. Hope to see something soon. Anyone else seen anything?

Also and at the risk of repeating myself again... Does anyone know who bought the station building at Rockingham? There are some permanent looking "No Parking" signs around the building and an invisible dog fence has been installed too (either that or they are just reusing flags for something else!)

Apologies if the image below appears upside down. My phone tends to do that.
IMG_2278.jpg
IMG_2278.jpg (162.76 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
 #1543445  by MECFAN

The station never sold, the owner changed his mind and decided to keep it.
I chatted with him a few days ago when I stopped by and he was there.
Current plan is to jack it up 18" where it sits to get it off the ground and continue restoration, Yay!!!
 #1543483  by arthur d.

Trinnau wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:45 pm That's referred to as the passing track. Probably dates back to a much busier time and different use. The Controlled Siding we are discussing is the name for the 2nd track from 256 to 258.
The switches that were replaced are the ones from the CS to the passing track.
 #1543507  by Jonathan603

Nice. Looks like it will be a bike rental place then. Looking forward to seeing the final reno. They certainly cleared a lot of trees for parking presumably.
 #1547833  by mokanpy

Hope this is the right place to post.
Does anyone remember a 50' boxcar semi permanently tied down on the house track at Portsmouth:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2675069
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2153877
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2153874
I remember it being there up till the late 90s maybe?
I'm looking for a car number if possible.

TIA
 #1547909  by arthur d.

I remember that boxcar. Back when I still carried a camera. When I have time, I'll check my albums.
 #1549584  by Jonathan603

This is not very post/news worthy but there is a rather large tree across the unused track just before Patterson Drive. Would be interesting to see when/if it gets cleared to see if they plan to extend past Patterson Drive... I know they replaced the railroad signage across the whole branch last year and Patterson was also replaced.

Apologies if the image appears upside down.. that seems to happen to me.
 #1549609  by MECFAN

DO-1 505 working Newington tonight they left the yard at 20:15 with 1 Tyco and 6 propane and left 3 Boise and 1 Tyco in the yard to spot later on.
POED dropped 22 cars at Rockingham tonight at 21:30 along with 7635 which went back east lite engine, train had 2 crews on board strange doings at Rockingham tonight!!!
 #1549690  by gokeefe

Jonathan603 wrote:This is not very post/news worthy but there is a rather large tree across the unused track just before Patterson Drive.
Give them a call and report it. http://www.panamrailways.com/emergency-contacts

Use the 24/7 Operations Center number and let them know the location ... Nearest grade crossing (use the posted crossing #) should be sufficient. They won't mind hearing from a concerned citizen reporting a genuine issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk