• Rumford Branch, RUPO / PORU

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

• 325 posts
  by gokeefe

Who has a pulp mill in Saint John?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

by PBMcGinnis

The same family that owns all of Saint John:
Irving Forest Products
  by S1f3432

Todays PORU with 501-518-512 crossing the Dead River Bridge between Centraltown and North Leeds. Left Leeds Jct with 73 Cars.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by gokeefe

I caught the same power set at Leeds switching the egg farm.Image

by S1f3432

gokeeke, you must have arrived just after I left- I got a couple of similar shots when they arrived but with the clouds closing in and figuring they wouldn't be leaving for a while, I headed for home.
  by gokeefe

It's definitely an interesting little corner of the system there in Leeds.

by MEC407

From the Bangor Daily News:
Bangor Daily News wrote:Rocked by a digester explosion in mid-April, the Pixelle Androscoggin Mill in Jay has now brought back most of its staff . It also has started producing a new specialty paper for the insulation industry on its A5 paper machine.

About 425 employees are back at the mill working on mill operations or on recovery, site security or preservation operations, said Heath Frye, a spokesman for the Pennsylvania-based mill owner Pixelle Specialty Solutions. There were 486 workers in mid-April. Inspectors, including the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, are still assessing why the digester exploded.
. . .
Last Thursday, Pixelle said it was making a new product on the A5 machine called the GlazeStar NK that is used as a paper backing for building insulation.

“This product should give us solid market growth,” said Bob van Helden, vice president of specialty papers at Pixelle’s Stevens Point, Wisconsin, location. “It’s a solid product, but it won’t fill the whole machine.”

The A5 paper machine also is making other Glaze-brand products including an oil and grease wrap for food packaging and a wrap for feminine products.
https://bangordailynews.com/2020/06/03/ ... rolls-out/
  by newpylong

Great news for sure. Thanks for posting. I always like to read about the Mill success stories up there.
  by Highball

gokeefe wrote:Who has a pulp mill in Saint John?

To note, J.D. Irving Ltd. has two mills in Saint John N.B., a Pulp & Paper and a Tissue facility. In addition, forty miles West of Saint John at Utopia, is a Corrugated Medium plant.
  by gokeefe

Pretty substantial log transload for Irving in Rumford for the past few weeks.