Railroad Forums 

• Rumford Branch, RUPO / PORU

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1544593  by S1f3432

Todays PORU with 501-518-512 crossing the Dead River Bridge between Centraltown and North Leeds. Left Leeds Jct with 73 Cars.
Attachments:
20200602_DSC9236_PORU_Eng501_518_512_DeadRiverBridge_LeedsME.jpg
20200602_DSC9236_PORU_Eng501_518_512_DeadRiverBridge_LeedsME.jpg (617.63 KiB) Viewed 2438 times
 #1544618  by gokeefe

I caught the same power set at Leeds switching the egg farm.Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1544681  by S1f3432

gokeeke, you must have arrived just after I left- I got a couple of similar shots when they arrived but with the clouds closing in and figuring they wouldn't be leaving for a while, I headed for home.
 #1544694  by gokeefe

It's definitely an interesting little corner of the system there in Leeds.

#1544729  by MEC407

From the Bangor Daily News:
Bangor Daily News wrote:Rocked by a digester explosion in mid-April, the Pixelle Androscoggin Mill in Jay has now brought back most of its staff . It also has started producing a new specialty paper for the insulation industry on its A5 paper machine.

About 425 employees are back at the mill working on mill operations or on recovery, site security or preservation operations, said Heath Frye, a spokesman for the Pennsylvania-based mill owner Pixelle Specialty Solutions. There were 486 workers in mid-April. Inspectors, including the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, are still assessing why the digester exploded.
. . .
Last Thursday, Pixelle said it was making a new product on the A5 machine called the GlazeStar NK that is used as a paper backing for building insulation.

“This product should give us solid market growth,” said Bob van Helden, vice president of specialty papers at Pixelle’s Stevens Point, Wisconsin, location. “It’s a solid product, but it won’t fill the whole machine.”

The A5 paper machine also is making other Glaze-brand products including an oil and grease wrap for food packaging and a wrap for feminine products.
https://bangordailynews.com/2020/06/03/ ... rolls-out/
 #1544912  by Highball

gokeefe wrote:Who has a pulp mill in Saint John?

To note, J.D. Irving Ltd. has two mills in Saint John N.B., a Pulp & Paper and a Tissue facility. In addition, forty miles West of Saint John at Utopia, is a Corrugated Medium plant.
 #1545403  by gokeefe

Pretty substantial log transload for Irving in Rumford for the past few weeks.

#1550007  by BostonUrbEx

Is Pan Am still upgrading the Rumford Branch to 286k? I noticed on their official weight map that the branch is still showing 263k. Back in 2015 or 2016 they were working on the bridge over the Androscoggin in Jay for the 286k upgrade. How much work is possibly left?
 #1550021  by 690

The bridge needs some work... they had a derailment two winters ago, or something like that where the truck off an empty slurry tank car took out one of the stringers, and they sort of patched it back together, but it's not by any means a proper fix.
 #1552458  by oibu

Are RUPO/PORU still 7 days? Any reliability of schedule? I've tried a few times when I've been through the Rumford area the last few years but never had luck finding anything but the mill switcher.
 #1552473  by eustis22

I was in Leeds over the weekend and caught PORU Friday evening and the return RUPO Saturday morning. Nothing thru noon on Sunday though.
 #1552507  by S1f3432

Last spring PORU/RUPO had a fairly predictable routine where crews left Rigby and Rileys in the morning
and met often at Rumford Jct- sometimes Leeds Jct or Lewiston- around noon, swapping trains and
returning to their home terminal. As summer arrived the times kept getting later with the meet around
3 PM. Lost track of them for a while then observed a train leaving Rigby shortly after lunch time a number
of times more recently with a late afternoon arrival at Danville Jct. Ran into a couple of railfans from the
Livermore Falls area a week or so ago and they confirmed that the routine seems to have devolved into
more or less up one day and down the next with the two sides of the job sometimes operating the same
day. That day PORU and RUPO met at New Gloucester. I saw Panam power in the yard at Rumford around
4 PM one afternoon about three weeks ago and the past several trips I've made up there I haven't been
able to spot the leased power that the Watco switch crew had been using- didn't spot any power at all
2 days ago.