Railroad Forums 

• POST YOUR FEC PHOTOGRAPHS HERE.......

• Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.
Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#8568  by ACLfan

Great shots! I noticed that you got some "east meets west" photos (of the ex-UP units that FEC recently acquired) and - quite surprisingly - did not repaint into the standard FEC blue, but adapted the FEC lettering/logo to the UP paint scheme! Something different for a change!

Good variety of color schemes, too! CSX # 4302 looks really good in her new colors! In case you didn't know, she started out on the Reading RR in 1974, then to the Delaware & Hudson, and to the Guilford System before being acquired by CSX! She and most of her kin have spent all of their CSX lives on the Florida/Georgia lines of CSX.

The EMD SD70M units were EMD Lease units that were on a 5-year lease (1995 - 2000) to the UP, then were leased by CSX, but were acquired by CSX in 2002, and are slowly being repainted. Some remain in the two EMD Leasing color schemes, some are in CSX bright future, and some are being repainted into the CSX dark future colors.

When you get a chance, come on back down and visit again! There's lots more interesting locomotives and color schemes to see in the South!

Take care! ACLfan!

#10352  by octr202

Pretty wild to see an old Reading Geep switching in South Florida...I guess everything goes south for retirement! If you look at the close-ups of the cab, you can still see the RDG-style rain gutter over the cab windows. Looks out of place with the new RV-style air conditioner above it!

#10415  by Fla East Coast Chris

The destination of the CSX engine is train 717 "the Lauderdale Local" They go as far as Pompano Beach. They had quite a short train that day. Picture was taken on a Friday morning.
Chris
 #10506  by octr202

The destination of the CSX engine is train 717 "the Lauderdale Local" They go as far as Pompano Beach. They had quite a short train that day. Picture was taken on a Friday morning.
Sorry about that! The uncertain destination is a reference to the MBTA Red Line subway that I ride daily here in Boston...and its notoriously semi-reliable destination signs and automated announcements. Its probably more understood in the MBTA forum I usually inhabit. But thanks for the info!

Nice to see some pics of what the Florida railroads are up to...my days in Jacksonville several years ago have a lot of memories of the FEC and CSXT. I still get to see CSX, but the old FEC GP9s are great childhood memories. At least one of them has made it up to the Bay Colony here in SE Mass.
 #337949  by hotbike

I have a few photographs of the Florida East Coast from 1991 and 1992.
Here are two of them, for your enjoyment.
More will be uploaded, but don't hold your breath.

#439145  by hotbike

Like I said, don't hold your breath.

#439352  by GOLDEN-ARM

Thanks for those shots, HotBike. The sticky is now a spot for everyone else to share, as well. Let's see what you all have, out there. FEC shots on the FEC property is what we're doing here, folks!! THANKS

#503470  by Noel Weaver

I will reactivate this long sleeping thread for a great video of the Florida
East Coast in Florida.
Please note that the Norfolk Southern engines have not appeared down
here in a long time so some of it is somewhat old.
Got this link from trainordersdotcom.
Hope you enjoy it.
Noel Weaver

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vv3mWAmJ0Rc

Re:

#563219  by F40

Noel Weaver wrote:I will reactivate this long sleeping thread for a great video of the Florida
East Coast in Florida.
Hope you enjoy it.
Noel Weaver

Thanks for the video. Those SD70M-2's and their horns are nice, but they were nicer in person. :-D
 #563228  by Noel Weaver

F40 wrote:
Noel Weaver wrote:I will reactivate this long sleeping thread for a great video of the Florida
East Coast in Florida.
Hope you enjoy it.
Noel Weaver

Thanks for the video. Those SD70M-2's and their horns are nice, but they were nicer in person. :-D
Let me know by PM when you are coming down to the "Sunshine State" again, I can gurantee you trains on the Florida
East Coast now and time is well spent watching them.
Noel Weaver
 #657625  by drobertson

These aren't mine but I thought I'd pass the link on to anyone interested.

http://mediaarchive.ksc.nasa.gov/search.cfm

Search using the keyword "railroad" or "Florida" and "railroad" to get some recent pictures of the FEC and the NASA railroad making an interchange at Jay Jay yard north of Titusville of some Solid Rocket Booster cars for the Ares I-X segments. Also includes some picts of an FEC business car.

dgr
 #673398  by M3LTDOWN

Hey everyone... this is my first post here. I have a huge interest in the history of the FEC. I also like photography so here goes.... (These pictures were all taken within the last 2-3 years)

FEC # 252 at the southern end of Hialeah...

Here is a very poor night HDR image I compiled of an FEC SD70; #101 at the yard just north of Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood Int'l Airport.

On US1, just south of SW. 62nd avenue... Under the metrorail elevated tracks: A former FEC rail bridge has been converted for pedestrian use. It's design is unmistakable however.

Looking north near the end-of-the-line at Kendall. These are the last remnants of the crossties left here. Surprising that they were concrete... I somehow remembered wooden ties in really bad shape. The red traffic light in the background is SW. 80th street.

South of the old Kendall terminus, the grade crossing was left on SW. 98th street... Maybe 30 feet from US1. Facing south, one can also see the northern end of the South-Dade Busway that replaced the tracks on this ROW all the way south.

This is a more recent picture, taken just last month. Red FEC hopper car with the skull and crossbucks.

Hope you enjoy! - Alex
 #674819  by PB

M3LTDOWN

Excellent! Had no idea these gems existed. Wonder when that crossing on 72nd Court saw its last and final piece of rolling stock. Anyone care to take a guess?

(I know, I know...Probably only a few minutes before that bridge south of 62nd Avenue did. :wink: )