Railroad Forums 

• Selkirk-Amsterdam

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1057123  by Jayjay1213

Is there anywhere between the above mentioned points that fellow buffs usually hang out without getting harassed?
 #1057130  by charlie6017

You might get some answers here, but I would also cross-post this question in the
New York State forum, too.

Charlie
 #1057168  by Noel Weaver

You should be OK at the Canal Locks which are parks and state property. I think the passenger station at Amsterdam is probably a good bet as well. No matter where you go, just STAY OFF railroad property at all times. Cross tracks ONLY at a public crossing.
Have a good and safe day. Guy Park a half mile or so east of Amstrdam Station is an example of a decent spot.
Noel Weaver
 #1057472  by RussNelson

Jayjay1213 wrote:Is there anywhere between the above mentioned points that fellow buffs usually hang out without getting harassed?
NY-5 parallels that line north of Schenectady. Anywhere along there would have good views. There's an old road bridge at West Old State Road north of Fullers. It's closed, and I don't know if any police will hassle you for being on it. Nobody hassled me, but I was only there for about 20m. It's got a couple of holes on the north side, and I'm sure that their concern is that there might be other holes-in-the-forming. South of Fullers is French's Mill Road, where you have a view up to parallel bridges over a waterfall over a dam. It's a classic place to shoot trains. The bridge there is closed to vehicles, but marked as a pedestrian bridge. Unfortunately, South Albany Road bridge, which is the traditional place to observe trains in Selkirk, is closed, and I think closed to pedestrian traffic also. There's a few grade crossings in Vorheesville where you might get some good views.
 #1058939  by roadster

I got my picture took at the Frenchmens Mills a couple weeks ago, about 2am. Had q621 going West and as we crossed the trestle a group of strobes set up on the footbridge went off. Russ, you mentioned all the places, I've seen fans taking pics. I'll back your suggestions.
 #1154415  by Plate C

Didn't want to start a new thread and my question seems appropriate for this one. Anyone have info on a general schedule for Selkirk Yard arrivals/departures? I'm thinking to be there Sunday, but would be interested in other days too.
Thanks!