Railroad Forums 

• Why 4 axle RDMTs and not 6 axles?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#80760  by TerryC

When the RDMTs were made, why did CSXT use 4 axle GP30s and GP35s? Why not use SD35s, SD35Ms, or SD40s? Could CSXT have gutted a U Boat ballast it, put EMD traction motors on the trucks, and make it a G.E version of the RDMT?

keep asking keep learning
HAPPY BOXING DAY

#80780  by crazy_nip

you ask some of the stupidest questions...

#80944  by roadster

Terry C
Most RDMTs are used in local service, (up here anyway) where six axles can sometimes be banned by track curvature. Also, the 4 xls units give higher tractive effort with the same HP of a single unit. (imagine an 8 xl 3000 HP engine) so less fuel is used during switching and industrial work.
Nip,
to blurt out that a question is stupid on this forum is an insult to all members. Maybe I am mistaken but I was under the impression that people could ask questions and share info. here, not be insulted for trying to learn. Shame on you!!!

#81186  by Robert Paniagua

Nip,
to blurt out that a question is stupid on this forum is an insult to all members. Maybe I am mistaken but I was under the impression that people could ask questions and share info. here, not be insulted for trying to learn. Shame on you!!!

Thanks, I agree with you Roadster.

Just take a look at the EMD forum for some evidence of him telling off TerryC. I think Nip needs to be more sensitive to others.

#81221  by TerryC

Thank you for the information, Robert Paniagua and roadster!

keep asking keep learning

#81340  by charlie6017

"be nice crazy_nip"

Please do.............