Railroad Forums 

• CSX Paint Schemes

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1015934  by charlie6017

I *think* the designations are CSX-created, but if I'm wrong, please correct me.

But, I believe YN, or "Stealth" is CSX's first corporate scheme
C40-8 #7587

YN2 or "Bright Future"
SD-50 #8629

YN3 or "Dark Future"
SD60I #8749

Hope that helps! ;-)

Charlie
 #1016316  by roadster

I never felt a simple logo change was a new designation of paint sceme. Was the BNSF swoosh a new sceme or logo change?
 #1016392  by charlie6017

I don't think the logo change has qualified it as a paint scheme, as everything else is still the same. ;-)

Charlie
 #1016433  by scottychaos

charlie6017 wrote:I don't think the logo change has qualified it as a paint scheme, as everything else is still the same. ;-)

Charlie
Personally I *would* designate it as a new paintscheme..
because there are no "rules" about what constitues a new scheme, and who says the scheme has to be radically different to "count" as a new scheme? where is the line? ;)
A new logo, but with everything else the same, is IMO enough to deserve a new designation..
or perhaps a "sub designation" at least..just to keep things clear..

So we have YN3..how about YN3b for the new one? that would make sense, since its a variant of YN3.
but you clearly cant call it YN3..because it isnt YN3, so it has to have some kind of unique designation
to differenitate it from "original" YN3.

But does anyone know what CSX is calling it?
whatever that is, that should be what we, as railfans, call it too..
CSX must have an official designation for it..maybe it just hasnt leaked out to the railfan community yet..

Scot
 #1016521  by mmi16

scottychaos wrote: But does anyone know what CSX is calling it?
whatever that is, that should be what we, as railfans, call it too..
CSX must have an official designation for it..maybe it just hasnt leaked out to the railfan community yet..

Scot
There is no official designation on the box car logo paint scheme - there is no mention of it in any locomotive records that have the scheme.