Railroad Forums 

• Could csx serve Westwood MA ups facility?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1002928  by MBTA1016

I was looking at goggle maps and it seems possible for csx to serve the ups facility. They would extend track from where it ends and build two grade crossings one on a privite driveway and the other on a side street. There is the power line row they would have to cross, they could go under the towers and power lines. This is all off the existing trackage at the industrial park.
 #1003015  by Teamdriver

Dude That facility is in Norwood, crammed into a cliff-like scenario. There is not enough room there for equipment & employee parking as it is.Plus they have an operation out of Shrewsbury that is there rail hub I believe.Beside them on that hill is a wine and liquor warehouse that doesnt even have a rail siding, which would have been more practical.
 #1003025  by boatsmate

the other problem is that UPS uses short trailers alot to haul there packages, Not box cars. this affords them the ability to transfer trailers within regions as well as being able to put them on Trailer trains to go cross country.they also use air for packages, using box cars would mean they would have to handle the package another time. which would add to the cost.

There is no rail access in shrewsbury, they unload the trailers in either Worcester or Boston. Depneding on Construction in the Worcester yard.
 #1003073  by Teamdriver

The UPS Hub is in Shrewsbury, @ 140 & 20 ,just east of Worcester. Here is a video showing UPS pup trailers on rail cars :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... OQTGeqXN6M

Here is a video of loading a trailer onto a rail car :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 1E9IEs3hLY
 #1003341  by MBTA1016

I was almost sure it is in Westwood. It's is at the top of the hill where Everett street and another split off.
 #1003403  by Teamdriver

Mbta fan wrote:I was almost sure it is in Westwood. It's is at the top of the hill where Everett street and another split off.

At the top of the hill, that split to the right is University ave, which now goes to rte 128. It used to stop at about the old Star Market warehouse coming from 128 but they built it through to meet Everett street. The car dealer at rte 1 is also in Norwood. Crossing rte 1 it becomes Westwood,and Everett street continues to rte 1a, running under the commuter rail tracks.Across from its end at rte 1a is the street that goes up to Xaverian high school.
 #1003572  by MBTA1016

malbojah wrote:
Mbta fan wrote:I was almost sure it is in Westwood. It's is at the top of the hill where Everett street and another split off.

You're talking about this place?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.208767 ... 17&iwloc=A

The biggest problem is the sudden rise in topography @ Ellis Wellfields (right between UPS and the end of the line)

Yes that is it. Everytime I go to Dedham to my grandparents house I pass university ave, and at light to turn left on university ave there is a long line of ups trucks, this is around rush hour.