Railroad Forums 

• Mansfield, MA Customers??

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#988204  by csrrfan86

Besides Tighe and National Lumber, what are the other customers are in that small industrial park? How often are they switched out??

Also, there is another industrial park down the tracks off of Rt 495. What are the customers in that park? There seems to be all sorts of customers down in that area.

Thanks!

-Wayne J.
 #989078  by Puter-Geek

The first park, we call "The Chocolate" Has Tighe, National Lumber, Smurfit Stone, and Advance Warehouse. West Mansfield, also know as Zayres (Old Department Store) has Miltons Dist, Barretts Dist, Hub Folding Box, CTX, and a New Customer.
 #989157  by fogg1703

Boston Cedar? They took over Cape Cod Lumber's building and last time I went through there noticed some brush cutting along the trackage leading into the building.
 #996134  by Pyroechidna1

There are (or were) two more paper recycling businesses in the area; Miller Recycling, which shares the same lead as Barrett Warehouse, and American Paper Recycling, which is on the west side of the Northeast Corridor in between the two industrial parks. There are also transloading operations in Mansfield Yard, for J.P. Noonan and whoever else. Last I heard, JP Noonan was transferring soda ash from covered hoppers to trucks in that yard.

Keep in mind that I may be terribly out of date on all of this, so any news about these customers is appreciated.
 #1000195  by CSX Conductor

Miller Recycling had their own siding beyond Barrett's 2 sidings. It was the old Grief Brothers siding. When I still worked on the local that serviced the area they had stopped using rail, (about 2008). As for American Paper Recycling, I pulled the last car out of there probably circa 2004/2005. They don't use rail anymore and quite surprisingly I'm surprised that Amtrak hasn't removed the switch.
 #1000924  by CSX Conductor

Teamdriver wrote:Wasnt there a wine wholesaler there that had a siding, if so whats happening there?
Tighe Wine was next to the beginning of the old Cape Cod Lumber siding.
 #1001157  by fogg1703

Teamdriver wrote:
Wasnt there a wine wholesaler there that had a siding, if so whats happening there?

Commonwealth Wine and Spirits had a location across from Cape Cod Lumber on Middlesex Rd with a siding. Not sure if they ever received anything by rail. They were bought out in 2009 by Martingnetti's of Norwood who for a time received wine by rail to a Tighe warehouse at the end of Suffolk St. I want to say it was Gallo Wine railed from the Napa region of California. Not sure if this still happens or not.
 #1001162  by Teamdriver

Yes , fogg , that company was a Gallo wholesaler that had a few different names before being acquired by the M brothers, and originally I think that location in Mansfield was chosen for the rail inbound. I know wine loads also go into the old S&S Readville building , to be broken down and trailerized ,and most of all this grape juice is from Cali. Not sure whats going on in Mansfield now as alot has changed big time since I last rolled.Once upon a time I had the pleasure to unload rail cars of this stuff, and it was heavy then, and dusty too. It was thirsty work, all done manually piece by piece.But a day's pay was a day's pay,some days better than others back then.
 #1001257  by CSX Conductor

Fyi the distribution company that gets rail at the old Stop&Shop is owned by a guy who used to work for Tighe and got let go or resigned.....and tried enticing people to use him instead of Tighe. At least that's what I heard when he first started getting cars.
 #1001304  by Teamdriver

CSX Conductor wrote:Fyi the distribution company that gets rail at the old Stop&Shop is owned by a guy who used to work for Tighe and got let go or resigned.....and tried enticing people to use him instead of Tighe. At least that's what I heard when he first started getting cars.
Yes CSX Cman , I heard rumblings of that, someone trying to carve their own niche. Maybe new rail business where none exists due to indifference or just contentment to the status quo. At least the Readville railhead is being used and not just laying waste. Cant believe the new S & S in Assonet doesnt have rail but is so close to tracks.