Railroad Forums 

• BNSF Invades CSX!!!

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#75086  by SEPTALRV9072

I dunno how many of you have notcied or not the influx of BNSF power on CSX. I rember last year it was UP now its BNSF. Get your cameras ready!

#75104  by railohio

In Ohio BNSF and UP power isn't rare at all. I'd wager that over half of the trains through this area have some sort of foreign-road or lease power in them. Spending a day at Deshler or Fostoria and you'd easily nab six trains each of pure UP or BNSF power in a 24-hour period. It guess it's all relative to where you are.

#75109  by CSX Conductor

Another reason why you are seeing an increase in BNSF power is probably due to the fact that UPS is in peak season, and by having power run through at interchange points can make quite a time difference. UPS uses BNSF & CSXT for their cross-country intermodal service, as opposed to the UP, which lost the business about a year ago or slightly longer.

#75113  by charlie6017

I thought UP was still teaming with CSX on the coast to coast "Q100 and Q153 Bullet Trains?

#75135  by roadster

This past summer UP due to it's severe crew shortages. Drop the UPS express and paid UPS to hire drivers and truck the vans to Chicago where they are then loaded and head east on CSX under the same service as any other CSX UPS train. Wether this service has been restored. I haven't heard anything new yet.

#75139  by emd_SD_60

I see trains with CSX power over on the UP Chester and Mt. Vernon Subs. In fact on the day after Thanksgiving (11/26) I caught TWO trains in a row (one southbound, one northbound)on the Chester Sub with CSX GE's leading. :-D Don't know if UP borrows the locomotives, or are actual CSX freights via trackage rights. I have seen plenty of NS and CN freights on there too. :wink:

#75190  by dti407

roadster wrote:This past summer UP due to it's severe crew shortages. Drop the UPS express and paid UPS to hire drivers and truck the vans to Chicago where they are then loaded and head east on CSX under the same service as any other CSX UPS train. Wether this service has been restored. I haven't heard anything new yet.

Q100/Q153 ran most of the summer as far as I know. I noticed that the Bullsheet has Q100 is a Thursday-only train and Q153 as a Tuesday-only train.

#75324  by RailBus63

Here in Syracuse, I've spotted more UP power in recent months than BNSF. Of course, some of those UP units are brand new GE units being delivered.

JD

#75782  by AmtrakFan

Well NS has been invading BNSF I see at least 2 NS units when I go along the BNSF.

AmtrakFan
 #76097  by LNRRFAN

Have seen at least one BNSF unit on all the NS trains running between Louisville and Lexington KY for the past 3 weeks.

#76917  by Rockingham Racer

CSX units make it down here in Brownsville, TX. Can't get any further south in Texas than that!

#80974  by Scotty Burkhardt

i live on the ex rock island just south of chicago, theres only 2-3 csx runs a day there. i mostly see wisconsin central or that furx leased crap. its almost become rare to see csx units on their own trains except yesterday, there was an ac44cw leading 7 gp40's

#80992  by emd_SD_60

I think it was early last year, I saw a pair of new CSX SD70M's in YN3 paint trailing some IC SD40's heading north through Du Quoin on the IC mainline. :wink: I haven't seen CSX power since. :( Other than that its all the CN and WC crap. With the UP Chester and MT. Vernon subs, I always get a treat of various railroads, especially CSX!:-D

Although, back in the mid-90's, I used to see buttloads of NS trains on the IC mainline. And at one time a southbound led by a pair of SP tunnel motors! (I think they were, as that was about 10 years ago.) Man I miss those days.... :(

#81113  by Scotty Burkhardt

NS still runs on the IC mainline. i dont know where theyre going but i can telll you that NS/CRL/CSS connects with the IC mainline at 95th and cottage grove. NS runs several auto stack trains down the mainline, high hoods are a common sight on those runs

#81132  by SRS125

This Past Summer I made note on a high level of CP Rail, CN, UP, NS, and BNSF Traffic between Buffalo and Syracuse.