Railroad Forums 

• North East PA Train Watching

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#977604  by tonfire72

I heard that there is a decent place train to watch and photograph trains along the CSX and NS main lines in North East PA. Planning on taking a "day trip" to that location (from Buffalo) soon. Has anyone been their? advice or comments? Thanks.
 #977701  by Aa3rt

The old New York Central depot in Northeast is now home to the Lakeshore Railway Historical Society. There's a collection of equipment, including some locomotives built in nearby Erie by GE and Heisler, as well as other locomotives and rolling stock.

The museum is adjacent to the CSX (Former Conrail, PennCentral and New York Central) main line and the Norfolk Southern (Former Nickel Plate Road) runs just to the south, within viewing distance.

More information here: http://www.grape-track.org/home

I'm originally from that area and did a lot of railfanning there a few decades ago. You might also want to check out the beautifully restored NYC depot in Westfield, NY where the Jamestown, Westfield and Northwestern, the last interurban in New York State, made connections with NYC passenger trains until 1948. You can still make out the JW&NW tracks to the west of the station. The NS is in very close proximity here as well.

A little further to the west, in Ripley, NY just before the Pennsylvania state line, there is a stretch where CSX and NS parallel in very close proximity. There are some crossings there that provide a good viewing area between the two main lines.
 #977727  by EMTRailfan

To add to Art's list of places, within sight of I90 on the north/west side of it, is Bort Rd. You can get overhead shots of CSX here, and NS is at grade. The bridge is a cross plank bridge and is fairly narrow with no ped. walkway, so tripods are pretty much a no here.
Here are a few of my photos from this location:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 0&nseq=112
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 7&nseq=113

Here is the LSRHS Museum that Art mentioned. They have since installed a "crotch high" wrought iron fence to keep the locals from crossing the tracks here. It still does not obstruct photos. The museum staff is very friendly and are nice company while you are between shots, and the property is still open when they are closed for business. There is still usually staff there railfanning themselves. They have a scanner speaker wired outside so you can hear the train chatter.
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos. ... %20Society
 #977990  by EMTRailfan

charlie6017 wrote:I believe that's Remington Road with the bridge over CSX, correct?

Thanks,
Charlie
Remington is the next road to the west, and I think it is at grade for both RRs. Never been there other than seeing it in the distance from Bort Rd.
 #995897  by GP-30Kid

It is Bort Rd. As soon as you pass a McDonalds on your left heading west towards northeast your first street to left is Bort Rd. It crosses over the Central main on a short bridge but immediately following the bridge about 100 feet up is the crossing with the former Nickel Plate main. At that point the line swings a little north to come up side by side with the central for the continuation into Northeast. If your looking for an even cooler place to shoot photos, head out of town and cross under interstate 90 heading towards the town of state line. Immediately following the BP gas-station on your right side is a road to your right. If you make a right turn you will cross under a cool tunnel bridge underneath the central main...... go up about another quarter mile till you reach the next crossing which will be the Nickel Plate. If you park your car next to the tracks and walk eastbound towards buffalo for about 100yds you will reach an amazing trestle. Pretty awesome sight.
 #995985  by sd80mac

GP-30Kid wrote:It is Bort Rd. As soon as you pass a McDonalds on your left heading west towards northeast your first street to left is Bort Rd. It crosses over the Central main on a short bridge but immediately following the bridge about 100 feet up is the crossing with the former Nickel Plate main. At that point the line swings a little north to come up side by side with the central for the continuation into Northeast. If your looking for an even cooler place to shoot photos, head out of town and cross under interstate 90 heading towards the town of state line. Immediately following the BP gas-station on your right side is a road to your right. If you make a right turn you will cross under a cool tunnel bridge underneath the central main...... go up about another quarter mile till you reach the next crossing which will be the Nickel Plate. If you park your car next to the tracks and walk eastbound towards buffalo for about 100yds you will reach an amazing trestle. Pretty awesome sight.

We did that 2 years ago and we waited and waited and waited and waited... at the same time, we missed couple of CSX trains, which cannot be seen from NKP. However I caught an idiot driver who let 2 little kids hanging out of the window, doing 40 mph... took a lot of pics... send to PA state police. turn out that the driver had suspended lic... She was no-show since no-one dont want to bother to pick her up and take her to court during the business hour. Obviously, who want to burn vacation hours for her stupid act. Judge refused her request for posponse when she called in and find her guilty. this short visit at court allowed me to go back to the same spot again for more railfanning with bonus time that I didn't had to stay at court.

Although, missing a lot of csx trains, I did get 2 or 3 NS on this 2 trips... WORTH IT.... better if it was in FALL at peak of foliage!!!!!!!