Railroad Forums 

• Collision in Florida

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#72238  by dconlive_

Yeah I saw the article in the Sun Sentinel (Ft. Lauderdale) and Orlando Sentinel also just now. Signalized mainline track, not good.

#72274  by crazy_nip

I venture to guess that this was Q441 or Q237 and one of the K990 series trains.

This is TCS trackage

I wouldnt want to guess, but this could have been an asleep crew

hope not, thoughts are with the families

etc

#72319  by Noel Weaver

All the better reason for having cab signals and automatic train control in
areas of CTC operation and heavy traffic.
Common sense would dictate that the railroads themselves would want to
have something like this.
OH, I forgot, common sense does not always apply to the railroads.
Like "Nip", my heart goes to the families.
Noel Weaver

#72327  by 262

Mr.C.J.Jones,your train looks good on the west side,markers displayed,MAS,clear signal ahead,see you track side.

#72336  by crazy_nip

I know this area pretty well and saw a picture on the news this afternoon, looks like it was right at vitis junction, I cant imagine what could have happened

there is a home signal on both sides of the junction and an intermediate about a mile before that

they said there was heavy fog this morning

if it was Q441, it doesnt run that late usually (supposedly happened around 1AM) but who knows

They had also been doing signal work between yeoman and plant city, but that was all finished up I think

guess we will find out

#72349  by 262

There are some details about train #Q441,and K916, their crew and profile,at the Yahoo FEC site.info there said it was the above trains involved.

#72445  by Robert Paniagua

All the better reason for having cab signals and automatic train control in
areas of CTC operation and heavy traffic.
Common sense would dictate that the railroads themselves would want to
have something like this.
OH, I forgot, common sense does not always apply to the railroads.
Like "Nip", my heart goes to the families.
Noel Weaver

Yeah same here, hope for the best to the train motorman and guard, and as Mr. Weaver says, there should be cab signals/ATO for such trains to minimize such accidents on freight operations.

#72452  by DutchRailnut

Don't act British, CSX has Certied Locomotive Engineers and Conductors, not the silly job discriptions you gave them.

#72782  by Robert Paniagua

I like my posting style though. It's my moniker fancy terminology :-).

Beside, Locomotive Engineers are somewhat motorpersons too, while conductours I prefer calling guards, it's also a more respectful term.

#72789  by CSX Conductor

Robert Paniagua wrote:I like my posting style though. It's my moniker fancy terminology :-).

Beside, Locomotive Engineers are somewhat motorpersons too, while conductours I prefer calling guards, it's also a more respectful term.
If you think that a conductor's job is as easy as a guard on a subway train, and an engineer's job is as easy as a subway motorman, you have no idea what it is like on the railroad!! Engineers have many variables (weather, weight of train, power, terrain etc.) that make it alot harder than just running a subway train.

Back to the topic at hand, Nip are there any areas down south that are Cb Signalled or not?

#72908  by roadster

CSX crews are being briefed on this latest tragedy during our intial job briefing when reporting for duty. The N bd stone train passed the stop signal and slid into the path of the S bd train. Engineer and Conductor of the N bd stone train jumped prior to the collision. The engineer was injured from the fall but survived. The Conductor survived the fall but was struck by derailing cars. Passing Stop Signals has been a big problem for CSX the past 2 years. The Albany Division had none in '99, last year, 2003, There were 8 incidents. This year we are at 8 as of 11/30/04. In October, while attending a company meeting. We were informed that there had been 140 Engineer decertifications resulting from Passing Stop Signal Violations system wide. While some have speculated that most were new inexperienced crews. Stats show that most are employees with 10 or more years. With incidents involving crews spread from less than 1 year to over 30 years. Fatigue seems to be the most popular reason amoung the crews. Personally, as a 5 year employee, this scares the hell outa me. I would like to see a minimum of 10hrs rest between trains.

#72924  by ACLfan

Roadster, based on published news reports and CSX information briefings down here near the scene of the accident, the southbound freight train failed to stop and wait for the northbound rock train to clear through Vitis Junction and to enter a siding.

The northboundrock train was occupying the same track that the southbound mixed freight train was supposed to proceed along. It had a proceed caution signal through the Junction and to enter the siding to clear for the southbound. Unfortunately, the southbound did not stop, and the result was a head-on collision.

HUNTER

etc

#72954  by Noel Weaver

Certified Locomotive Engineers, calling us anything else is an insult.
Noel Weaver

#72980  by crazy_nip

from what I have heard, the K900 train didnt stop short of the signal at vitis jct... Q441 was supposed to proceed first

sounds like fog was a big factor, and ran through the red, but I guess they didnt see the approach signal either, if they did they would have been ready based on the conditions, to stop

hard to believe they missed BOTH signals, but alas