Railroad Forums 

• Alpha symbols

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#57899  by Rockingham Racer

This has been discussed before, but over on the New York forum, they're saying the railroad is going to alpha symbols. Anybody out there who works for CSX confirm or deny the story?

#57902  by metman499

I have heard it from a very reliable source who works for NS.

#57941  by SRS125

Conrail always used an Alfa system which makes sents take the first 2 letters of the city in which the train starts in and the first 2 letters of the city in which it ends in. Such as former Conrail Train BUSY (Buffalo-Syracuse) SYBU (Syracuse-Buffalo)

#57976  by CSX Conductor

I agree that Con_rail's system made moresense...but the way CSXT is supposedly gonna do it, is going to be a bit more than just the 1st 2 letters of origin and destination cities and the date of origin.

What I heard is that it will be 1st 3 letters of origin and destination cities, a "section #", then the 2 numbers for the date. For example Selkirk to Buffalo on October 4th would be SELBUF-01-04, and if another section ran on same day it would be SELBUF-02-04.

Conrail would have been SEBU-04 and if a 2nd section was needed, that 2nd section would have been SEBU-04-B

The latter of course seems simpler. :-)

#58024  by Rockingham Racer

That's pretty much the way BNSF designates them, too.

#58491  by SRS125

O'Boy looks like a CN Alpha System it took me months to figure that one out. They Way CN dose it. Each province has a number followed by a letter .i.d giveing the divtion in which it started followed by the starting city then the ending city followed by the date in which it started.