Railroad Forums 

• CSX - SD60M's assigned to New York?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#692121  by MNR's #1 Conductor

dlp1684 wrote:for those of you keeping track,today was the first trip of an sd60m over the hell gate.the y101 had the 8767 on the east end so it was the leader on the return to the Bronx.Also the 8763 has no A/C so it was an oven in there yesterday.on a related note the gensets are not holding up too good.the 1304 only lasted a few days before being taken out of service and sent back to selkirk for repairs,1305 was down for quite some time with computer problems (fixed on 7/9/09) and one other unit (1306 or 1307) has other problems that may take it out of service any day now.will try to get more info next week.
And I hope they check out Bridge 35, Calamus Avenue, 51st Avenue, and the plate girder spans over the LIRR Main Line and Port Washington Branch, because those bridges do not look like they can take daily stress and pounding from heavy SD60Ms rumbling across, and Bridge 35 I heard as it is has crumbling concrete raining off of it.
 #692562  by FL9AC

Why am I not surprised about the Gen-Sets failing??? As I said, gimme GPs and end-cabber SWs any day!! Too much technology and microprocessor crap, and not enough good ol' fashioned, built to last workmanship and mechanics!!
Gimme a break! Any brand new equipment has it's teething problems. The Geep's and older units are okay and they work because they're simple machines, but fuel economy and efficiency is the name of the game, and frankly, the geeps are outdated and fuel hogs. Once the bugs are worked out of these units, I'm sure they'll perform VERY well. That is all...back on topic!
 #694028  by MNR's #1 Conductor

FL9AC wrote:
Why am I not surprised about the Gen-Sets failing??? As I said, gimme GPs and end-cabber SWs any day!! Too much technology and microprocessor crap, and not enough good ol' fashioned, built to last workmanship and mechanics!!
Gimme a break! Any brand new equipment has it's teething problems. The Geep's and older units are okay and they work because they're simple machines, but fuel economy and efficiency is the name of the game, and frankly, the geeps are outdated and fuel hogs. Once the bugs are worked out of these units, I'm sure they'll perform VERY well. That is all...back on topic!
But at least they are reliable!! Not sidelined when a computer gets a misspelled word in it program subroutines!! lol What good is the fuel efficiency when the damn things are out of service for stupid little things?? What good is unused fuel?? You still have to keep purchasing it, while an out of service engine sits by. Out of service engines do = costs!!

Again, keep it simple, back to mechanics, lose the microchips!!

And we are on topic, talking about the engines.....and since you are NOT the web site administrator, it is not your duty or authorization to tell people what to get back to. Last I checked, we are on topic here, talking about trains, equipment, operations and such, not talk about news events, favorite colors, or non-railroad related YouTube videos!!!

Have a great day!!
 #694155  by FL9AC

But at least they are reliable!! Not sidelined when a computer gets a misspelled word in it program subroutines!! lol What good is the fuel efficiency when the damn things are out of service for stupid little things??
Not for nothing, but unless you know exactly what each problem was that sidelined the units, how can you assume it was a computer-related issue? It could have been very minor in nature and something that is common to any unit...new or old...you should know this. The P32's were inefficient for about five years before they were dialed in and as of now they've surpassed the MDBF of the old EMD's and then some. Like I said before, any new unit has its teething problems...once they've been figured out I'm sure they will be great units.
And we are on topic, talking about the engines.....and since you are NOT the web site administrator, it is not your duty or authorization to tell people what to get back to. Last I checked, we are on topic here, talking about trains, equipment, operations and such, not talk about news events, favorite colors, or non-railroad related YouTube videos!!!
Also, not for nothing but if you read the topic headline, then you will see that it is about the SD60M's and their new adventures in NY. Going off on tangents about other locomotives or B.S'ing is how we get these topics locked which ruins it for everyone else which is why I said something. It wasn't directed 100% towards you Paul so don't get all huffy, it was a blanket statement also ending my previous response which was also off topic. That is all
 #697913  by MNR's #1 Conductor

Spotted on today's Y-101 and Y-102 are a double header SD60M pair, 8768 south (west), 8761 north (east) end with 8768 leading Y-101, at about 0935 hrs, seen also passing the NJT Test Train heading north (east) to New Haven, with 4620 east end, 7025 west end as Trains NJMN 3016 and NJMN 3025. Video of the SD60Ms on today's Y-101 will be posted soon. 8761 will be leading northward on Y-102.
 #697916  by Tommy Meehan

SD60Ms operating to Oak Point and Fresh Pond have included (so far by my reckoning) 8761, 8763, 8767 and 8768.

Dumb question - Did they all have to be inspected first by Metro-North to ensure they clear the third-rail? I know the first couple were, but if other units have same clearance specs (at least on paper) do they need to be physically looked at?

Does CSX still maintain third-rail clearance detectors?

Last but far from least- Thanks for the continuing updates MNR#1. Very much appreciated!
 #697945  by MNR's #1 Conductor

Tommy Meehan wrote:SD60Ms operating to Oak Point and Fresh Pond have included (so far by my reckoning) 8761, 8763, 8767 and 8768.

Dumb question - Did they all have to be inspected first by Metro-North to ensure they clear the third-rail? I know the first couple were, but if other units have same clearance specs (at least on paper) do they need to be physically looked at?

Does CSX still maintain third-rail clearance detectors?

Last but far from least- Thanks for the continuing updates MNR#1. Very much appreciated!

No question is dumb unless it isn't asked!! :-) First, the SD60Ms which operate down the Hudson Line (MNR) have had third-rail clearance notches cut into their plows, much like the 2700 series GP38-2s, some 6200 series GP40-2s, the Gen-Set 3GS21Bs, and the SD40-2s all have the clearance notches in their plows much like MNR's diesels, as well as CP Rail SD40-2s and Amtrak P32AC-DMs and P40-Bs, the latter used for MNR/CDOT service on lines outside the third rail zones (i.e. Southeast-Wassaic, South Norwalk-Danbury, Bridgeport-Waterbury and Shore Line East), but in light moves they do run across MNR's electrified territory to move between yards and shops, and must be able to clear the third rails. Far as I know, no matter what, I understand they do have to be inspected before entering onto and being cleared for operation on MNR territory.

Second, MNR has third rail detectors on the Hudson Line up around Manitou, which also check of dragging equipment, hot box detection and such.

Here are the SD60Ms in action on today's Y-101, Oak Point Yard (Bronx) to Fresh Pond Yard ("Fremont"; Glendale, Queens), courtesy of yours truly!! :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev_YQzxFsWg
 #729485  by AMK0123

About a month ago I saw Q431 and either Q430/Q703 doing their crew change at Beacon train station,s/b power was CSX 8760, 8762 and 1307. N/B power was 8761, 8759, 8842 and 8765.
Also got held for the overnight on on Monday the 19th and got to see Q703 N/B through Cold Spring, NY around 0030 hours with 8765, 8767 and 2724, followed shortly after by Q430 S/B with 8761 and 8762 and then around 0200 hours by Q-701 S/B with 8760 another SD-60 in YN2 (possibly 8766) and 2793.
 #731884  by AMK0123

Last night around 2355 hours observed Q-703 N/B through Beacon, NY. Power was CSX 8765 and 8759. Around 0030 hours S/B Q-431 had 8762 and 8761 as power.
 #1225554  by AMK0123

Just thought I'd dust off this topic for a quick update. Looks like we have our first boxcar painted SD60m for Hudson line service, CSX 8757. Looks like it came back from paint in the past two weeks. Has been operating on the River line with a Hudson line SD40-2. Was wondering it this unit has made it to the Bronx yet?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 056&nseq=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1225662  by Tommy Meehan

Thanks for dusting off this topic. It's interesting to look at the service life of an individual unit, see where it's been, etc.

There's about six pages of photos of 8757 on the RR Picture Archives site. An original Conrail unit (5502), from around 2002-2009 there are photos of this unit working all over the CSX system -from Alabama to Richmond, from St. Louis to western New York. The first photos of 8757 in Hudson Line service date from late November 2009. The unit is probably around twenty-years-old (photo in Conrail service on the B&A in 1993) and in recent years 8757 has seemed to mostly work between Buffalo-Selkirk-Philadelphia (Camden) with occasional trips on the Hudson Line.

According to one of the captions, the photo linked was taken October 20th -- eleven days ago -- while stopped at CP43 at Fort Montgomery on the River Line. Fans chatted with the crew during the wait and the crew said 8757 had just been shopped, getting a new floor, controls, paint and seats.

The most recent photo (link) shows 8757 five days ago as the middle unit on a Q358 in Connellsville PA. The last shot from the Hudson Line was this past May.