Railroad Forums 

• CSX - SD60M's assigned to New York?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#673592  by DogBert

MNR's #1 Conductor wrote: Hope you all like!! Oak Point is quite a good photo location!! NO TRESPASSING UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!! My photos were all done from public locations such as sidewalks and roadside, and the SD40-2 up close shots were done from a lot and sidewalk area alongside Bruckner Blvd. service road, also using much lens zoom!!!! DO NOT VENTURE ANYWHERE BEYOND THE FENCING!! NYPD and Amtrak PD patrol regularly, and they were around on this day!! Nothing was said to me, though I was watched!! Keep it legal and safe, folks!! If the law don't scare you from trespassing, I hope the thought of meeting your maker as the business end of one of these bad girls or the Amtrak bad girls will scare you!!
Good photos. You forget to mention csx's has their own PD in the yard. They got a dog and they let that sucker loose on perps. NYPD always drops by to, uhm, 'use the facilities'...

Lots of thieves trying to get at the beer cars, so you really don't want be near that. The streets are generally safe and calm around there though. Looks a lot more rough around then edges than it is.

Still haven't seen the 60s go to the island, but the only run i've seen this week has been today. maybe i missed something.
 #675433  by MNR's #1 Conductor

DogBert wrote:
MNR's #1 Conductor wrote: Hope you all like!! Oak Point is quite a good photo location!! NO TRESPASSING UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!! My photos were all done from public locations such as sidewalks and roadside, and the SD40-2 up close shots were done from a lot and sidewalk area alongside Bruckner Blvd. service road, also using much lens zoom!!!! DO NOT VENTURE ANYWHERE BEYOND THE FENCING!! NYPD and Amtrak PD patrol regularly, and they were around on this day!! Nothing was said to me, though I was watched!! Keep it legal and safe, folks!! If the law don't scare you from trespassing, I hope the thought of meeting your maker as the business end of one of these bad girls or the Amtrak bad girls will scare you!!
Good photos. You forget to mention csx's has their own PD in the yard. They got a dog and they let that sucker loose on perps. NYPD always drops by to, uhm, 'use the facilities'...

Lots of thieves trying to get at the beer cars, so you really don't want be near that. The streets are generally safe and calm around there though. Looks a lot more rough around then edges than it is.

Still haven't seen the 60s go to the island, but the only run i've seen this week has been today. maybe i missed something.
I have not, at any time, seen the CSX Police in this area. Every time I pass on by and check things out, mostly NYPD are riding around the yard. And yeah, kinda funny hittin' up the "fridges" for beers!!!! :-D
 #676264  by DogBert

They're around, as well as some homeland people as of late. Not sure what the deal is with that. I think they were eying the terminal market today.

The beer theft problem has been ongoing for ages from what I understand. Some people around there are so hard up they'll steal huge bags of rice out of the boxcars, or anything they can get their hands on.
 #681912  by MNR's #1 Conductor

Still haven't seen the 60s go to the island, but the only run i've seen this week has been today. maybe i missed something.[/quote]

Not sure if you will. I have heard there are weight concerns on a couple of the bridges in Queens, not the Hell Gate approaches, but the plate girder span over the LIRR Port Washington Branch, 51st Avenue, plate girder span over the LIRR Main Line, Calamus Avenue (plate girder) and Bridge 35 over Fresh Pond Yard and the LIRR Montauk Line from LIC. In fact, with what goes over the Fremont Secondary now, I hear pieces of the concrete structuring on Bridge 35 has been deteriorating and falling off, damaging NYAR employee vehicles what used to be parked under there, and I hear they actually warn employees not to park vehicles under Bridge 35.
 #681995  by wintower

...somebody from CSXs B&B dept. should take a good look at Calamus Ave. i feel uneasy just walking underneath the bridge not to mind riding over it IF i was an employee.
 #682076  by Jeff Smith

I'm sure the weight issue is not on the Hell Gate bridge proper. Ol' Gustav built that bridge strong enough to park engines on it from end to end (or so I heard or read somewhere, maybe Modern Marvels?).
 #682101  by DogBert

But... aren't the 60s lighter than the 40s? At least that's what I read doing some rudimentary research. Moot I suppose as the 60s are probably worth quite a bit more in dollar value.

I hope they put some work into those bridges. They probably didn't have to pay much or anything for the rebuild over the BQE in jackson heights, and hell gate got a load of work in the 90s, so those bridges are well overdue. The NYC DOT has more or less fixed up or replaced many of their overpasses along the route over the years.
 #682766  by lvrr325

An SD60 is longer than an SD40-2 and the hood extends all the way to each end. I don't know how it could be lighter unless you fill the fuel tank with helium to about 300 PSI.
 #683402  by MNR's #1 Conductor

Sarge wrote:I'm sure the weight issue is not on the Hell Gate bridge proper. Ol' Gustav built that bridge strong enough to park engines on it from end to end (or so I heard or read somewhere, maybe Modern Marvels?).
The Hell Gate Bridge is not the issue, the issue is the bridges, north to south order on the Fremont Secondary, plate girder overpass over the LIRR Port Washington Line, ballasted closed deck span over 51st Avenue, the plate girder span over the LIRR Main Line, plate girder span over Calamus Avenue, and Bridge 35 spanning the LIRR Montauk Line and the approaches to Fresh Pond (west yard). Bridge 35 is suffering from significant deterioration.
 #689936  by MNR's #1 Conductor

DogBert wrote:But... aren't the 60s lighter than the 40s? At least that's what I read doing some rudimentary research. Moot I suppose as the 60s are probably worth quite a bit more in dollar value.

I hope they put some work into those bridges. They probably didn't have to pay much or anything for the rebuild over the BQE in jackson heights, and hell gate got a load of work in the 90s, so those bridges are well overdue. The NYC DOT has more or less fixed up or replaced many of their overpasses along the route over the years.
"But... aren't the 60s lighter than the 40s?" Not a chance!! The SD40-2 comes in at 368,000 lbs, while the SD60M comes in at 395,000 lbs!! I shudder to think what would happen if they put some of these on the Y-101/102 to and from Fresh Pond and they go rumbling over the bridges mentioned in Queens!! Especially Calamus Avenue and Bridge 35!!!
 #689939  by MNR's #1 Conductor

CSX Conductor wrote:Saw a couple of new GenSets in Oak Point last weekend but wasn't able to get the numbers from the main line. Also, read this article on the BLET web-site yesterday. :wink:
Uh oh.....now time for a railfan hunt!!! Thanks for that good word, I shall see what I find!! :-)
 #690290  by MNR's #1 Conductor

MNR's #1 Conductor wrote:
CSX Conductor wrote:Saw a couple of new GenSets in Oak Point last weekend but wasn't able to get the numbers from the main line. Also, read this article on the BLET web-site yesterday. :wink:
Uh oh.....now time for a railfan hunt!!! Thanks for that good word, I shall see what I find!! :-)
Found 'em!! #s 1304/05/06/07......... http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 53&t=63148
 #692099  by dlp1684

for those of you keeping track,today was the first trip of an sd60m over the hell gate.the y101 had the 8767 on the east end so it was the leader on the return to the Bronx.Also the 8763 has no A/C so it was an oven in there yesterday.on a related note the gensets are not holding up too good.the 1304 only lasted a few days before being taken out of service and sent back to selkirk for repairs,1305 was down for quite some time with computer problems (fixed on 7/9/09) and one other unit (1306 or 1307) has other problems that may take it out of service any day now.will try to get more info next week.
 #692119  by MNR's #1 Conductor

dlp1684 wrote:for those of you keeping track,today was the first trip of an sd60m over the hell gate.the y101 had the 8767 on the east end so it was the leader on the return to the Bronx.Also the 8763 has no A/C so it was an oven in there yesterday.on a related note the gensets are not holding up too good.the 1304 only lasted a few days before being taken out of service and sent back to selkirk for repairs,1305 was down for quite some time with computer problems (fixed on 7/9/09) and one other unit (1306 or 1307) has other problems that may take it out of service any day now.will try to get more info next week.
Why am I not surprised about the Gen-Sets failing??? As I said, gimme GPs and end-cabber SWs any day!! Too much technology and microprocessor crap, and not enough good ol' fashioned, built to last workmanship and mechanics!!

Well, good to hear the big power got to show off on the Hell Gate. Since my job today had no swing break, and the daytime was spen back and forth on the "Dink" between Stamford and New Canaan, no catch of this for me today!! But somehow I do not think this will be the last time that happens. I heard though this happened today because of motvie power shortage at Oak Point, with reportedly only 1 SD40-2 available in Oak Point, and the Gen-Sets not only are out of service, but also have no dynamic brakes.