Railroad Forums 

• CSX Trash Trains...

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#722424  by CPSK

Trash trains I can do without. Lumber trains... now those are pleasant to be around.

FW
 #722742  by atsf sp

I actually miss the trash train in Boston. I remeber of it as part of my childhood.
 #732689  by Teamdriver

Where was the trash train in Boston? Did it actually get cars from a transfer station in Boston or just pass through? i remember the trash haulers on Hampden St in Roxbury off loading city trucks into massive trailers, but cant remember any truck to train transfer stations in Boston, although there is or was a rail siding next to the old City of Boston dump on Rivermoore RD in West Roxbury. Dont think there was ever any rail action there for trash, but there were wine cars into the liquor warehouse there.
 #732707  by atsf sp

The containers were shipped to Beacon Park and loaded onto flatcars.
 #1061798  by CPSK

I'm going to revive this 3yr old thread rather than start a new one, since it's not yet locked.
About CSX trash/garbage trains on the River sub.

It seems that there aren't so many "unit" trash or garbage trains as there are containers or cars in mixed consists. The exception to that was Sunday evening (July 8 2012) when I saw a train hauling only garbage containers (mostly the gray ones) heading north. I was curious as to whether the northbounds are empties, since most of the garbage we see on the River sub is heading south from SK after being hauled north on the Hudson line from NYC. While these containers may have been empty, they were still smelly. I guess no one washes them out after they're emptied.
It would be great if I could find out which trains (I don't keep up to date with symbols) are hauling garbage, so I could avoid being anywhere near the tracks when they pass. Occasionally, a garbage train will stop on one of the three tracks running through Teaneck NJ, creating a major stink in the local park (Votee Park).

Anyone have any more info on this?

Thanks

CP
 #1062372  by AMK0123

The garbage trains that run as unit trains originate out of NYC. The Q-703 is the loaded trash train which runs Tue though Saturday. It's couterpart is the Q-702 which runs empty up to Selkirk, then turns into the Q-701 from Selkirk to NYC. The gray containers are a unit trash train that has been running up and down the river line, I believe only one day a week. It is a daily train for Norfolk Southern with excess cars running on CSX. I would check the NS or Southern Tier forums, I believe there was some info posted on that train several months back. I have been catching the Q-703 on the Hudson line while I've been working evenings lately and yes they sure have been rather unpleasant with this warm weather!