Railroad Forums 

• What are CSX major Shops?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#46299  by AmtrakFan

What are CSX major Shops around the System? Anything would help.

AmtrakFan
 #46318  by Noel Weaver

I believe the major shops are Cumberland, Maryland; Huntingdon, West
Virginia; Waycross, Georgia and Selkirk, New York. I think Cumberland
is the heavy repair facility and Selkirk does major runing repairs but no
really heavy work.
The above is subject to correction if somebody else knows more than I
do about it.
I do know that Selkirk is the only major former Conrail facility that went
to CSX.
Noel Weaver

#46348  by SRS125

Selkirk has a shop that dose GE Locomotives but I'm sure they do outhers there as well.

#46429  by AmtrakFan

Thank You Mr. Weaver and XXXX. Also this will make the Dummest Question of the Year where is Selkirk?

AmtrakFan

#46435  by roadster

just south of Albany NY west of the Hudson river. It also the point were the River Line to NJ, the B&A to Boston and the west mains all converge in New York. A very large facility.

#46570  by crazy_nip

tampa, florida uceta shops too...

they do alot of carwork and loco repair

Etc

#46598  by Noel Weaver

Tampa, I kind of thought there was a shop there, wasn't sure about it.
Noel Weaver

#46767  by octr202

I thought that the last major work that Uteca did was the GP16 program under SCL.

Is Waycross still considered a full heavy repair shop, or is Huntingdon the only one at this point? I know in CSX's early days, there was an effort to make Waycross the "GE shop" and Huntingdon the "EMD Shop." I'd guess the massive numbers of GE's bought in the 90's would mess up that plan.

#46792  by ATK

Noel got the list right, but he forgot one -- Corbin, KY. Huntington is the only shop on the system that does heavy repair work and by heavy I mean prime mover change outs, alternator change outs, heavy wreck repair and locomotive overhaul. Anything less than that the other four major shops can handle; they focus on running repairs and "Q" maintenance. All shops can service both GE and EMD locomotives, however some specific fleets of locomotives tend to be maintained in only one specific shop. For example, most of the AC6000's are serviced in Selkirk, and a large portion of the AC4400 fleet are maintained in Corbin. Since 2000, CSX has had in place a full service contract agreement with GE whereas GE is responsible for the maintenance and repair of all CSX's GE locomotives. Basically this means that the shops are spilt in half with GE taking care of the GE's and CSX taking care of the EMD's. Cumberland, which had been an EMD shop since the end of steam, just recently started maintaining GE's. It was the last shop to come under the GE full service contract agreement.

There are some other minor shops, Nashville, Buffalo, Avon IN come to mind, but these shops only do 92 day maintenance or very light repairs.

#46923  by crazy_nip

Tampa can do everything but paint, iirc...

knowing csx, anything that isnt utilized is torn down, and they just painted the shop (huge, btw...) last year

#47181  by SRS125

Louisville shops dose Locomotive work not sure what locomotives they work on weather GE or EMD.

#57930  by SRS125

At the end of the Pete Street Lead in Syracuse, NY has a Storage/Repair location for MOW Equipment.

#57975  by Urban D Kaye

CSX facilities at Cumberland MD....

#63397  by rocketman

GE is contracted to provide the parts, managment, and guidance, NOT the labor. Selkirk lost it's heavy repair work contractually with the split to Huntington to gain more inspection work. The only heavy work performed at SK is traction motor changeouts, PA's and turbos. Huntington does a piss poor job. Altoona does a much better job than CSX could ever hope of doing. Most parts at Huntington are remanufactured elsewhere. Altoona reman's most of their own. Hunt. uses USED parts when overhauling engines on the Standard line. CSX is just so muddied up in their own ignorance they can't see the harm they have done to they're railroad by these poor decisions, they should have left everything the way it was.
 #63563  by Noel Weaver

I don't think Selkirk was considered a "heavy repair facility". Under
Conrail, Altoona was the heavy repair facility with places like Enola,
Collingwood, Selkirk etc doing running repairs.
Selkirk was able to change out wheels, prime movers etc but the prime
mover would be worked on somewhere else. They were also able to do
some repair work from derailments if it wasn't too heavy.
Everybody whom I have talked with involving CSX tends to agree that the
railroad is "falling apart". They have cut maintenance to the bone and I
suppose the whole railroad is kind of "up for sale to the highest offer".
I am glad I retired when I did. Had I still been working, I might well have
flowed to Amtrak as I still had that right.
Noel Weaver