Railroad Forums 

• Selkirk Yard

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#571057  by fw2008

Hi;
I'm looking for some better imagery of Selkirk yard. Google Earth is better than Virtual Earth, but neither is really good enough for what I need it for. I am building a simulation in Trainz 2006.
I have a yard schematic, but I think it's a bit on the aged side.

One thing I am looking at is the east end of the yard. There appear to be three "running tracks" that come out of the yard and just end before switching into the main. The schematic shows these tracks as such, but I am confused as to what the purpose of "dead end" tracks would be in this configuration.

Thanks

FW
 #571060  by QB 52.32

These 3 tracks are used for "head room" for the jobs that pull cuts of cars out of the bowl for assembly into trains in either the South or North departure yards. They can pull cars out of the bowl onto these tracks and then shove into either departure yard without occupying tracks used for departing or arriving trains.
 #571244  by fw2008

QB 52.32 wrote:These 3 tracks are used for "head room" for the jobs that pull cuts of cars out of the bowl for assembly into trains in either the South or North departure yards. They can pull cars out of the bowl onto these tracks and then shove into either departure yard without occupying tracks used for departing or arriving trains.
I guess that explains the crossovers between the tracks at the ends, looks like just enough room for a few locos to pull the train, then run around the train on an empty track.

Thanks for the info.

FW
 #571328  by Noel Weaver

At least during Conrail days the official name for these tracks was drill 1, drill 2 and drill 3 from south to north. They are
used for head room when a yard job moves a drag of cars out of the classification yard to the departure yard.
Noel Weaver
 #571357  by johnpbarlow

IIRC, a couple of years ago there was talk about CSX double tracking the "inbound" track around the SW side of the yard. Is there any progress to report or has this project been put on the back burner?
 #571359  by Ironman

The crossovers at the east end of the drill tracks are not used. The pullers shove the cars west.
 #571649  by CSX Conductor

johnpbarlow wrote:IIRC, a couple of years ago there was talk about CSX double tracking the "inbound" track around the SW side of the yard. Is there any progress to report or has this project been put on the back burner?
Last I heard this was still planned. Supposedly the entire "Ben's Bridge" would have to be replaced along with a new approach ramp to it on the south side. The signal maintainer building was removed as part of this project last year.
Noel Weaver wrote:At least during Conrail days the official name for these tracks was drill 1, drill 2 and drill 3 from south to north.
The tracks are still named the same, the only difference is that there's no engineer on those yard jobs anymore. :(
 #571804  by fw2008

Ironman wrote:The crossovers at the east end of the drill tracks are not used. The pullers shove the cars west.
Thanks for that info. I thought maybe they were used in case the power needed to be moved off of the train.

FW
 #572362  by photorailfan

A few years ago i was up there and one of the guys patrolling the area mentioned that bens bridge will be replaced. According to him there will be something in on the sides for railfans to shoot from. I have yet to hear or see anything to this. I've been up there two times since and the bridge is still there but the old house is gone.
 #572499  by railman616

Hi
Last year the State of New York held a public hearing in the town of Sekirk about the replacement of Ben's Bridge. Nothing was said about a Rail Fan area. Given New York's financial problem cost will be the main factors in the replacement plans. There should be info on the Web about the hearing.
Regards,
Railman
 #573406  by fw2008

Funny how Live Search maps keep changing the photo as you scroll the map. One moment, it's spring, next it's winter. Trains appear, then disappear. Great imagery, but I guess photos were taken of different areas at different times, and as you scroll, you are accessing the latest ones, whatever the season may be.

FW
 #581414  by videobruce

The link is useless as it doesn't work with Opera. Idiot Exploiter is not a option as I don't use bloated, virus infected software. :(
 #582311  by sd80mac

videobruce wrote:The link is useless as it doesn't work with Opera. Idiot Exploiter is not a option as I don't use bloated, virus infected software. :(
how about Firefox?? Netscape (although they discounted Netscape)