Railroad Forums 

• CSX Boston and Albany Line

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#621894  by CSX Conductor

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:NaDspr, can you provide us with any other Boston line changes? I read your post that Q421/Q420 have been abolished
From what I've heard is that Q420/Q421 were to be abolished and B721 which was out of Chelsea (Produce Market) would handle all mixed freight traffic between Beacon Park & Framingham. The B721 used to report in Chelsea at 300pm and work the NEP then run to Beacon Park & back via the Grand Jct. However, as of this week B721 reports in Framingham & will be dropping Beacon Park freight in Beacon on it's way to the NEP and pick-up Selkirks from Beacon Park on the way back to Framingham. This is really just another management pipe dream on how to save money. There's not enough time to do all of this even in good weather and make it back without outlawing...especially with 100% rules compliance.

I heard that many other trains would be consolidated system wide as a result of the national economy. The only other train effected on the B&A from what I heard was Q274/Q293 would be abolished and the traffic for CP Yard in Framingham which those trains handled would be run on Q264/Q283.
 #621899  by johnpbarlow

However, as of this week B721 reports in Framingham & will be dropping Beacon Park freight in Beacon on it's way to the NEP and pick-up Selkirks from Beacon Park on the way back to Framingham.
Putting this freight (ie, trash cars) on Q436/437 should make these trains pretty long, no? Also, will B721 be using GP40-2s or Q436/437 road power?
 #621907  by CSX Conductor

I honestly don't know. Perhaps road power between Framingham & Boston. Definately only a GP40-2 or 2 between Beacon Park & Chelsea as the wide bodied 6 axles can't fit under the Memorial Drive bridge, and are banned from MBCR property.
 #622628  by cabosavinoo

CSX Conductor wrote:For the most part the departues would be:

M-F:
Q115 on duty @ 630, usually put together and ready to depart by 715pm.
Q117 on duty @ 715, usually ready to depart around 800/815
Q167, runs most weeknights and departs lite engine, on duty @ 930pm, depart between 945 & 1030.
Q113, on duty at 1030p,m departs around 1115/1130 depending on how many cars or if it's lite engine to Worcester.
Q421 on duty at midnight, unless there is no power for the train in which case it usually goes to work around 800 the next morning. If it goes to work at midnight, usually doubled-up and departing around 100/130am.
Q119 on duty @ 100am, runs lite to Worcester, departing anywhere between 115 & 145am (Tuesday-Saturdays).
 #622982  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Q437 is going to be a bigger monster over the B&A. I remember reading somewhere that freights were limited to a certain amount of cars over the mountain. Does CSX still have this rule and what is the car count? 118?
 #623607  by NaDspr

B721 has been going on duty at Framingham at 1130. It has run with a pair of 6200 series engines.
Leaves Beacon Park westbound about 9:30 pm.

Q436 has become a big train again liked it used to be when it carried P&W cars and CSX-Worcester cars.
Now it runs straight to Framingham and has to split its train up onto various tracks, including the 4th iron
and into Nevins Yard.

Q274 has now been abolished also. Their cars now run on Q264.
 #624271  by QB 52.32

NaDspr wrote:Q274 has now been abolished also. Their cars now run on Q264.
Thanks for the info. NA. Will Q293 be folded into Q283?
 #624293  by Ironman

Unlikely.

It takes a good amount of time for crews to do their work at the autosite now. To add a Springfield pickup would mean the train would outlaw everyday. Not only that, but the C&D cars the Q293 takes out of Springfield are very heavy, which, when added to the length of the empty racks that cause alot of drag on the curves, would cause the train to stall on the mountain. Bottom line is that the East Brookfield autosite is still has too many empties to combine trains.

Right now, the Q274 crews are being deadheaded to Framingham so that they can take the 293 back to Selkirk. I expect this to continue for the time being. You might see a Q423 or Q427 grab the cars out of Springfield on the weekend,but since there is no Q421, these trains are more likely to pickup the Palmer cars, or Second St. in Pittsfield.

If they decide to stop deadheading the Q274 crew then the Q293 cars would most likely run an an extra.
 #624370  by QB 52.32

Thanks, Ironman, for jumping in and answering my question. Was thinking that the c&d out of Springfield was moving on Q425. Also see your point re. the time it takes to assemble the w/b's out of E Brookfield on Q283 vs. dropping the e/b's on Q284.
 #624397  by CSX Conductor

There is a 120 car limit, which once and a blue moon will be ignored by having about 125 or 130, especially if many empties. I honestly don't re-call ever hearing of a 9700 ton limit, but it sounds about right, here is however a 10,000 foot limit for total length. I also can say that the loaded unit ethanol trains have been over this many times.

As for as what they'll do with the extra traffic between Framingham & Selkirk generated by abolishing Q421/Q420, I'll ask around.
 #624405  by CSX Conductor

But stalling on the hill would make extra $$ because you'd out law....and if you are ordered to shove a train over the mountain it SHOULD be a days pay. Yeah, emphasis on should.
RailMan,Perhaps I can help by grabbing some of those demolishion cars in West Haven straight from the customer and drop in the Bronx @ Oak Point, LMAO. :P