Railroad Forums 

• You're at Bat - Chessie!!

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#33606  by Gilbert B Norman

The New York Times says it's your turn, CSX, to have your investigative and settlement practices of grade X-ing incidents "under the microscope".

When the Times does an investigative report, it is not exactly for those with attention spans of gnats.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/12/natio ... dy.html?hp
 #33632  by Gilbert B Norman

I'm taking a liberty in posting here comments I made at the Amtrak Forum to get discussion there directed over here.

Is this report one-sided? Probably. But I do believe, even if there is overkill here, the one-sideness is necessary for balance in the entire grade X-ing safety issue.

I think the uncleared brush issue should be on the table. As I noted over at the UP Forum and elsewhere, I was not even aware that uncleared brush could be a factor in grade X-ing matters until I joined the industry, made contacts in the Engineering Dept, and then learned of the brush issue.

Unfortunately, around here we have discussed all the "shortcuts" that CSX apparently takes out there. While our discussions here (Amtrak Forum) are rightly focused on their adverse effect on Amtrak operations, we should wonder, if they are skimping on track (Kensington and Crescent City are pretty foregone) isn't it logical that they are skimping on brush?

And, as we note folks, the consequences are a bit more severe to society if a railroad skimps on cutting brush about an X-ing, than when the little kid that cuts my grass goes off to Disneyland with his family for a week and it doesn't get done until he gets back

#33713  by charlie6017

I for one, agree that uncut brush is a danger. Up here in NY state, there are a few crossings on the Chicago Line that obscure distance sight on the ROW and especially on curves. Much of the problem here has been the malfunctioning of crossing apparartus. I hope this much needed publicity gets CSX right in the --- and wakes them up. I will say, CSX has been working hard in the Rochester area repairing crossings.

#34011  by RailBus63

CSX, UP and the other major railroads need to take a hard look at their internal safeguards and procedures. I'm not so cynical to believe that senior managers at these corporations know that dangerous conditions are allowed to exist and willingly look the other way. I do question, though, whether they've created a culture that revolves so much around reports and numbers that dangerous conditions are overlooked by managers and/or employees in order to produce 'acceptable' numbers for headquarters. Management now has to 'walk the walk' every day and prove to the employees that ethics and safety are first and foremost - that's the only way they will correct this situation in the long term.

JD
 #114175  by thirdtrick

while tragic, i really don't see the issue here. i think the current grade-crossing hysteria is largely the product of greedheads & fear-mongers who are taking the wind out of much more important, and pressing issues regarding the public safety.

you're family's obliteration is far likelier to occur at the hands of a weaving semi, or obscene four-ton SUV out on the highway. people who can't be bothered to look & listen at grade crossings, or who run the gate slalom (and i've done it too) do so at their peril.

#114199  by B747

When I was a kid in the 80's my dad was an accident investigator or properly known as a "Claims Representative" for Seaboard Syatem, then CSX in Tampa, FL. His territory was Yeomen, and Ucita yards, as well as the S-line, and A-line. I went to MANY accidents with him, and saw people dead in many states of dismemberment.

Now maybe, this has always stuck with me, and that is why I am cautious around tracks, but how can people be so stupid when approaching a crossing anyway. Would you go thru a intersection without looking both ways? I think not! I'm not saying it's not the railroads responsibility to maintain their lights, and gates, but also people have a responsibility to themselves to recognize the dangers of railroad crossings, and not get lulled into thinking technology will protect them.

#117319  by mmi16

The prevailing thoughts of the population at large concerning railroad highway crossings at grade is......

'The gall of the railroads, they operate trains across the highway; and what are these flashing lights and gates for anyway!