Railroad Forums 

• CSX's " State Of The Fleet, 2004"

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#24892  by rcbsd45

Just Arriving
The railroad’s newest additions – 75 brand new locomotives – began delivery in the second half of 2003. Forty-five of them arrived as recently as March. They’ll join the rest of the locomotive fleet, about 3,600 strong, as CSXT’s most recognizable assets.

Bought from manufacturer EMD (GM’s electromotive division), these big machines pack 4,300-HP engines – the highest horsepower CSXT has ever acquired from the company. They’re also the heaviest EMD products CSXT has bought, at about 428,000 pounds each (214 tons). They sport the latest equipment, including in some cab signals, vital for traveling across the RF&P commuter lines in the Washington, D.C., area and the high-volume Boston-to-Albany corridor.

Other features include GPS systems, an automatic start/stop system, and the newest seat design, which was adopted in 2001 after consultation with CSXT locomotive crews.

The new SD70MACs passed trials at CSXT’s test site in Rowlesburg, W.Va., where candidate locomotives are put through their paces. The roughest test, pulling up a steep grade by locomotive standards (2.5%), is the final hurdle. When the SD70s proved themselves to possess the pull power needed to surmount the grade under load, they were signed on for CSXT service.

CSXT already had 90 SD70MACs in the fleet. These locomotives will pull heavy coal trains predominantly, but they also have applications in merchandise freight and intermodal service.

Fifty-five additional units ordered for delivery in 2005 have been put on the fast track by EMD. They’ll arrive between August and October this year.

New Leased Units
CSXT is also taking delivery on a batch of 20 leased EMD SC70ACE locomotives – big units that are also environmentally friendly. They are EMD’s first engines compliant with the Federal Clean Air Act, Tier II, regulating further emissions limits on diesel fuel engines.

With the new purchased and leased units combined, CSXT will have 953 AC units of 4,300 HP or better – a significant show of power.

What Locomotive Power Means to the ONE Plan
“It will be crucial to the success of ONE Plan that we run to the plan,” said AVP Mike Munley, who heads the locomotive management team for Service Design. “We will operate with standard consists between points so that we can keep the traffic cycle synchronized and originate trains on time.”

Josh Putterman, avp-locomotive planning and utilization, represents Munley’s group as a member of the cross-functional ONE Plan team. He meets often with representatives from Service Design and Crew Management to ensure that locomotive power and crews are closely aligned with the traffic plan. They are meeting regularly with Division Managers and other field forces, who must sign off that the plan is executable. Ultimately, they’ll have the accountability for trains to run on time and according to the plan.

“We’re synching up fueling and servicing of the locomotives, too,” Putterman said, “to keep those functions in line with the redesign.”

‘Standard consists’ is a phrase the group uses frequently. It’s a different practice than our current planning around individual engines assigned to trains by number, based on that day’s tonnage and available engineer. The new design calls for three primary types of consists, supplying a wide range of tonnage and motive power, and some are appropriate only in certain traffic corridors. The three types are:
3 SD 40s

2CW40-8s

2 ACs
“Terminals will match the consists with trains, building the train to the consist,” Putterman said. If there’s no good match, the team will need to adjust the plan rather than add an additional engine. When things are running as intended, additional engines will not be needed, and all locomotives will be utilized to their fullest.

What Employees Can Do
Some specific actions employees can take to ensure compliance with the ONE Plan, as related to locomotive power, are the following, according to Munley and Putterman:
Have a sense of urgency to report engines sitting idle and underutilized

Have a sense of ownership of local and yard engines. Think “these are my location’s engines and we’ve got to use them as best we can.”

Notify the Mechanical Desk immediately when you encounter a problem on a locomotive – that’s one of the operating rules, and it helps reduce last-minute plan changes
Locomotive Fleet Fast Facts
Overall Owned Fleet
GE models – 1,514; 700 with AC traction by end of 2004
EMD models – 1,864; 233 with AC traction, plus 20 leased SD70ACEs
Total ACs with 4,300 HP or greater – 953 (20 of them leased)
Average age – 18 years
Newest – 590 locomotives age 6 years or less
Average horsepower – 3,225 HP
AC traction – 933 locomotives (plus 20 leased)
Performance record – out of service 5.5% (ave., second quarter)

Stand-outs
Heaviest CSXT locomotive – GE CW44AC at 432,000 pounds (216 tons)
Longest CSXT locomotive – GE CW60AC 76 feet 2 inches
Oldest CSXT locomotive – MT6 Mate at 45 years old, built in January 1958
Most horsepower – GE CW60AC at 6,000 HP

Fuel and amenities
Fuel tank capacity – up to 6,200 gallons of diesel fuel per locomotive
Fuel burn – up to 280 gallons per hour at full throttle
APUs – 1,268 installed, and 175 remaining to be installed in 2004
Seat upgrades – 359 installed, 146 remaining to be installed in 2004
New paint design – 306 in current fleet

Glossary
Mate/slug – a locomotive with no diesel engine and no cab. It provides additional traction and power generation to the locomotive consist.

ACEs – AC locomotives with environmental controls consistent with the Federal Clean Air Act, Tier II.

ACs – alternating current engines

ACSES train control (Advanced Civil Speed Enforcement System) – an Amtrak/FRA system to control train movement on high-speed corridors, such as over Amtrak’s territory in the Northeast

Locomotive Alertor Systems – systems to ensure crew status for operating locomotives; provide alarms and locomotive shutdown if crew does not respond within certain intervals.

APUs – auxiliary power units; a CSXT-designed device for locomotives that significantly reduces idle fuel consumption and idle emissions while keeping oil and water warm in cold weather and providing auxiliary power.

#25009  by trainfreak

Two things about the EMD lease units. About when will they begin to arrive on territory? And what paint scheme will they be in?

#25040  by LCJ

Have a sense of ownership of local and yard engines. Think “these are my location’s engines and we’ve got to use them as best we can.”
It amazes me how some in management circles still believe that this can come about merely by announcing that it "should" be so. Maybe with some local managers, and with a small portion of employees who have the natural tendency -- but my bet is that the majority of employees do not feel this way, and for good reason.

What say you rcb?

#25118  by rcbsd45

Well, I have to admit that while I found the document fascinating in the least, I have to wonder just how many people up top believe their own BS on stuff like this. I handle several sets of power each day, and I have started to keep a little notepad with me highlighting all the problems I come across on CSX's power, and note each engine # and problem. I figure in a few weeks I will have used up all the paper!
As for "local ownership" of power, in THEORY its a neat principle, but in practice, its almost impractical. Years ago, CR had a stable of GP-38's and 38-2's in my area for yard and local power, and the only time it was changed out was every 90 days or so when a specific unit would have to go to Selkirk, Pavonia or some other location for its required inspections. Now, at North Bergen and South Kearny, we are using a variety of SD40-2's for yard and local power, and if they are in the yard more than two weeks at a clip, its rare. Thet have been, on occasion, stolen to add to road trains which usually have power problems of their own. So, in essence, as the power is rotated in and out of the yards on an increasingly frequent basis, its hard to become"attatched" to any power in any yard. This is all my opinion, of course, but this company has to get its act together in several areas and fleet management is one of those areas needing attention. Given the past, it is and can be difficult for some of us who work at CSX to believe these postings....
And Jeff(Trainfreak), to answer your question, I will email links to the pics of the new SD70ACe's that someone gave me. And yes, they will be in the "Bleak Future" scheme....

#25245  by ACLfan

What are the locomotive road number assignments for this new power? Thanks in advance!

ACLfan

#25269  by railohio

Conrail used to keep a stable of engines in Bryan, Ohio for local service and they never seemed to leave. They would be cycled into Elkhart for inspections and routine maintenance, but they would be assigned to Bryan for years it seemed.

Today NS doesn't seem to keep local engines in Bryan for very long. The current operations seem to cycle power through Bryan in two or three months.

#25361  by CSX ENG

More CSX propaganda....... Seems like they omitted the part of how many locomotives are RCO-equipped and the number of times these units are "broke down" and unusable!!!!!